Purpose of the site

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

fredgpops
Location info: 0
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Purpose of the site

Post by fredgpops »

It would be helpful for the users of the site for you to state what it's goals are. I find the site to continue to cater to a very narrow base of people who have good intentions but provide little data or info that helps me in my zone. It may be good to segregate posts by zones. If you wish to cater to a specific area/zone then state your intentions. Just info to let you know I am looking at the site less and less. RGds
jd.

Re: Purpose of the site

Post by jd. »

fredgpops wrote:I find the site to continue to cater to a very narrow base of people who [...] provide little data or info that helps me in my zone.
A few posters from the temperate zones are rather prolific...
Perhaps a separate category for subtropical and tropical growers would help keep in check those growers who fail to cater to your needs. But then would they contain themselves? :silent:

Perhaps a more useful change would be to add an option to the search function to filter by the poster's climate zone(s) to help people with specific growing conditions find relevant data in any category. Now if everyone reported their climate zone or location all would be happy. :D
fredgpops wrote:Just info to let you know I am looking at the site less and less.
Just to let you know, I'll totally ignore the site from time to time. :wink:
dependable

Post by dependable »

Thinking this site is for people who are interested in bamboo and related topics. The more information and observations posted, including pictures, the more engaging it is. Agree this is not the fastest moving forum, but I have found it interesting and useful. It also gives me a chance to share my observations with a few people who might care about bamboo.

If more people from your zone would post more about tropical bamboo, it would be interesting to me, even though I can not grow a lot of the warmer climate plants. The fact that the temperate bamboos are well represented dose not mean others are not appreciated.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Fredgpops: if you stopped visiting I know I'd miss your posts, photos, and trade offerings.

A while back I thought that it would be good to have a "temperate" forum and a "tropicals/subtropicals" forum, as I was tired of all the posts about clumpers I'd never be able to grow. I now just skip topics that I'm not interested in. The "view unread posts" and "mark forums read" links are invaluable to ensure I don't spend hours on this site every day.
fredgpops
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Thanks for the followup (s). First, the amount of time I spend on the site has progressively gone down over the last couple of years. Part of the decrease is due to repetition which to a large part is natural as new people come on board and ask questions previously asked by others. However, the other issue regarding repetition, is the hard core folks who inititate the majority of posts and answer the majority of posts. As folks have pointed out, I can look at the site less and do a better job of separating the wheat from the chaff. This I have done. Although there are some great features to the site, like the photos, some posts are starting to drive me looney and/ or the majority of posts don't pertain to my zone, so the total worth, just isn't there anymore. The folks who watch over the site are very dedicated and I have tried to give them kudos whenever possible. The site has offered many people exposure to the world of bamboo. My hat is off to them. Rgds
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

As a person has absorbed everything they need to know, they are going to spend less time here, so seems natural you would not spend as much time here. Most of the people that joined this site in the first years are long gone. But even so with new people around, its pretty easy to tell if they are into temperate or tropical bamboo, so seems simple to jump in or skip over said posts. Likewise, I skip over the tropical stuff without any trouble sorting it out.
MikeMoon01

Post by MikeMoon01 »

I am also agree with all of you people and I personally think that this is a best platform for getting and sharing some thing new about the different topics and I met to many people who have same purposes. so please keep it up you are doing well.