Tetrapanax

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

johnw
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Tetrapanax

Post by johnw »

Last weekend I asked a friend who is about to visit if I could beg a piece of root of Tetrapanax 'Steroidal Giant'. Unfortunately he had given his away but he recalled I had gotten one from Tropics to Tropics in BC in the 90's and he said "that should be either SG or Rex as those are the only two on the market". That didn't make sense as Sean Hogan who selected SG showed me his plant in Portland, Oregon years ago and said it was a selection he had made. If he selected it he must have selected it as a seedling from an unnamed Tetrapanax or collected wild or garden seed, I never remember him mentioning a Rex in his collection.

The question are there Tetrapanax about other than these two selected forms?

A plant, impressive as it is, always seems to be plagued with spider mites.....

johnw - +7c and rain, a big change from yesterday.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
JD_z7a_NJ

Re: Tetrapanax

Post by JD_z7a_NJ »

Yes, the regular/standard form of Tetrapanax is probably the most common form here in the US, then followed by 'Steroidal Giant'. 'Rex' isn't commercially available here in the US and isn't a particular clone but a group of varying plants lumped together that are quite similar to the 'Steroidal Giant' clone in size and leave shape. The regular form is a much smaller, less hardy and less attractive plant in my opinion.
johnw

Post by johnw »

I wondered why this one had never sized up. Nice new growth but not a head-turner.

I read on the cloudforest website:

"of course this is from the plantmeister himself, Mr. Hogan....Supposedly, an elderly Japanese man brought this giant to the USA from Japan....he brought it from Japan to Hawaii and then to the Bay area. This giant is definitely different from all other Tetrapanax I've seen. I have the regular Tetrapanax and the giant has much more "cut" leaves more maple-esqe even like our native Acer macrophyllum leaves and the veining is deeper while the regular Tetrapanax is more flat and the veining less pronounced. My "giant" seems more deciduous than the general type as well. Sean pointed out that this "giant" is definitely "trunk" hardy so anyone interested should attempt to get their hands on this variety.....With no frosts below 28F this year, my Tetrapanax were mostly evergreen with little frost damage but the "giant" was deciduous...a small price to pay for the hardiness....."

Wonder why it is so rare in Canada as it sprouts from the smallest of root cuttings.

johnw
johnw

Post by johnw »

I was standing in a bed by the tap this afternoon filling watering cans - what else. And cursing the norway maple seedlings coming up everywhere. Then the brown fuzzy new growth caught my eye and I realized all those maples were Tetrapanaxs coming up from the roots where the Tetra had been last summer.
Attachments
IMG-20141014-03471.jpg
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Interesting that you refreshed the Tetrapanax thread, as I did some research on it this summer after a visit to Portland OR. If Sean Hogan is selling SG at his Cistus nursery, he's not calling it SG. I talked to several gardeners in Portland who grow Tetrapanax and they all say that it's not too cold-hardy, but that the SG form is supposed to be much more so.

So I'm on the lookout for SG for next year, preferably getting it from somebody who knows that it comes back after a z6 winter.
johnw

Post by johnw »

Alan - Sean is a good friend and when I would go to Portland on business I'd stay at his place. He had SG on the left side of his house and it was massive. I am surprised that he would be selling anything but SG as he said it was far hardier and much much bigger than regular old Tp; I remember back around 2000 his old Tp froze out. What we had planted was regular Tp and it's a big let down, got it from Ray Mattei at Tropic to Tropic Plants in Delta, BC, small leaves and not much vigour. I too am on the lookout for Canadian SG roots.
Van-isle-bamboo

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

I just potted up 7 Tetrapenex SG but most have now found homes. I'll have to check how many are left when I get back home on the 28th. I would be more then happy to send some off this spring to both of you Canadians eh :D

It's a runner, but I guess most of us are bamboo lovers so SG shouldn't be a problem either 8)

I could of just sent some off to you John( I noticed your leaf minor post and friend visiting from victoria). Maybe this spring if your interested.
johnw

Post by johnw »

Van-Isle

That would be absolutely super. I can surely send something in return. Do you have Canna grande which I got at Cistus? It's a big one. Also have a small P. primotina spare, the bigger ones are just too big.
Attachments
CANNA GRANDE.jpg
Van-isle-bamboo

Wow grande it sure is!!!! I would be very very interested in that canna, P primotina would also very cool! How hardy is the canna grande for you?

Would you suggest we wait for spring? I really don't have any experiance shipping plants so would you have any suggestions ?

I have some very very viable Cinnamomum japonicum seeds which I will be starting on the 28th but the trees won't be ready till sping to ship, if your interested too
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

I'll probably order SG from Cistus in the spring then, unless I can find somebody who has a piece to spare before then.

That Canna Grande is crazy! Will have to find or order that too I think. :)
Van-isle-bamboo

Hey Allen do you know what it's like shipping plants south? Maybe a root? I know to ship north we need a phtyo cert. I could send some to you if you wanted in the spring if you find out the details
johnw

Post by johnw »

Van-Isle - The Canna is by no means hardy here. As a youngster you have to clean up the underground parts thoroughly before putting in dry storage at circa +5c. When young it can rot. Once established the next year they are not so temperamental.

john
johnw

Post by johnw »

Alan - When we dig the Cannas in November the root mass is circa 2-2.5ft across, and we have a dozen clumps in the ground. We have corms/rhizomes coming out of our ears. Inspection is only $13.00 here, if I hear of anyone going to the USA I could have them mail you some. Otherwise if I mailed them you'd need a permit.
Attachments
Canna grande IMG-20121021-01811.jpg
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

Don't know what's involved shipping plants from Canada, sorry. If the hassle (on your end) is too great, and the price ends up being comparable to what I'd pay to order from Cistus, ordering makes more sense. We have all winter to find out though. :)
johnw

Post by johnw »

Alan - I just bumped into a neighbour / friend who said she just got back from St. Louis, a school reunion. Said if she'd known she could have taken the Canna grandes and left them there for pickup. As a US citizen you can take 6 plasnts across the border w/o an inspection or permit. You never know who's from St. Louis these days.. :roll: .