Plus a weed seems to be making 2 inch 30 foot culms look small
Attachments
Shanghai 3 plus weed
Shanghai 3 plus weed
Shanghai 3 2012
Shanghai 3 2012
Parvifolia 2012
Parvifolia 2012
Always experimenting to get Timber Bamboos Timber size :-)
Steve in France
Location info: 0

Re: Third season Shanghai 3 and Parvifolia

Post by Steve in France »

Here are pics for Shanghai 3 2011 and Parvifolia 2010
Attachments
Shanghai 3 2011
Shanghai 3 2011
Parvifolia 2010
Parvifolia 2010
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

Holy Hannah Steve!

They look great, especially impressive is the erect habit of Shanghai #3.

Obviously they don't mind cold infiltrating through the wooden sides.

johnw - +15c and spitting rain.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
Steve in France

Down to climate John, I figure there is not a much better climate than here for ph Bamboos . Not so good for humans tho :D
best Wishes
Steve
Last edited by Steve in France on Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

Could say the same for here with Fargesias and at 15c!
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
Markj

Post by Markj »

:D Looking good :D

Unachievable growth rates as compared to here or your place in France.

Gonna have to keep those rhizomes in check though :mrgreen:
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Steve, was outside when I missed your call, I'll try to catch you as well. Is the parvifolia leaning or doing the parvifolia angled thing? I wonder if it needs a heavier, clayey soil in a box or mound? I have some very large culms laying totally flat on the ground with the branches all growing up the same side, I think those were undermined by voles though, my other 3 patches of it are thus far very vertical.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Steve in France

Hi guys , Mark post some pics, good to talk the other day, cool weather Parvi size up is great news.
Brad , it's a mix of things on the parvi angle, I cut all the old culms out last year in shooting season so I had more shoots going toward the Sun , plus 45 degree shoots. Some where effected by heavy weather. This years culms are all the upright ones, the next few months will see if they stay that way. I'm letting Parvi look a bit of a mess until next shooting season, my Parvi shoots in shade head for the sky and do not angle. A lot of 2 inch plus culms this year, way more consistant that Shanghai 3. Shanghai 3 has a mix of 1.5 to 3 inch culms. Three inch Shanghai 3 culms are about 3 feet taller than a 2 inch culm, so I guess it's topped out. Shanghai 3 is getting the look that Jos had a few years ago. The staged level of branches, I'm hoping next year will see a few more three inch culms and then I'll cut everything but the big ones out.
Talk soon
Steve
p.s. The weed is not a weed but Tetrapanax papyrifer 'steroidal giant' , runs like a weed or a Bamboo tho :D
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

Thanks for sharing the awesome pics, Steve! Don't have Shanghai 3 but parvifolia is showing phenominal growth here: I got mine last year in late summer and potted it to size up a bit but now wish I had put it straight in the ground!

I wish you hadn't shown the Tetrapanax, though: been resisting getting that one for years but now I'm convinced that I must have it :lol:

How long has it taken the Tetrapanax to get that large?
God Bless,

Matthew

===============================

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
Steve in France

The giant weed has been around for about the same time period of three years. Tetrapaxax will get full size leaves and be about six feet tall in it's first year, cold Winters will cut the plant to the ground , but it comes back in Multiple locations from the root. They do run like mad and are pretty easy to propagate, small off shoots sometimes do not have enough roots early season to make a good division. I keep meaning to measure the leaves they must be heading for four feet across this year.
All the Best
Steve
p.s. Just measured a leaf I could reach at 45.5 inches by 36 inches
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

Wow, those are huge leaves!

You're not helping my exotic plant addiction any, though :lol:
God Bless,

Matthew

===============================

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
jd.

Post by jd. »

needmore wrote:I have some very large culms laying totally flat on the ground with the branches all growing up the same side,
After a recent thunderstorm with several inches of rain, a couple new parvifolia culms at the edge of a small grove here now lean almost horizontally.
Apparently, the wind convinced them all to lean in the same direction. :drunken:
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

Just visited Steve in France's place and here are some of the pictures. Bamboos still appear to be gaining size each season pretty clearly.

Shanghai III
It looks like this year, there are lots of culms in the 2.5 to 2.8 inch size range, not particularly bigger than the biggest from 2013, but there are still a lot bigger on average. Steve intends to cull out many of the smaller ones, and ones outside the barrier once the energy falls into new shoots next season which should be pretty exciting. It looks like this bamboo does have a lot of size potential as long as the climate is warm enough. Although culms are fatter, they still appear to taper off in height to around 35ft. This i not very tall for a phyllostachys since some of the bamboo groves at Dave Andrew's place only 5 miles away are around the 50ft mark.

It is easy to tell which ones are new culms by the dark green.

This may be the largest one in the middle.

The ones farther out are a bit smaller, and appear to be sun burned, but still a decent size for not being fertilized.

It's pretty cool seeing rhizomes jump down into the ground out of the raised bed.

His Vivax huangwenzhu inversa looks like it has put out 4 nice culms this year which appear to be 1 inch in diamer by 13-15ft in height.

Here's the original prominens bamboo in a pot which may or may not have anymore viable buds since it never put out any shoots this year, and has sent rhizomes out of its drainage holes into the ground, most of that aside from a single culm which I ended up digging away.

Here's the remaining culm which should have a lot more energy than what is in that pot.

The parvifolia looks like it is falling well behind shanghai III in size since the largest culms only appear to be around 2 inches in diameter, and the height appears be no more than 25ft for the tallest ones.

The culms inside the original raised bed are getting stressed for water so there is less foliage on each culm while the ones outside of the box are getting much leafier.

New culms still look like they are a little bit upsized from the rest.

Van-isle-bamboo

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

Great looking bamboo. Thanks for sharing that!
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

I just happened to be in that area. My bamboo garden is 300 miles north of the ones in this picture so it's much harder for me to grow bamboos of this size, but I've seen vivax in my area right around this size before next to a driveway which means it is possible.

The biggest shanghai III culms here are still a bit under 3 inches, but I think it should have the potential to break the 4 inch mark given a few yards of manure over the entire area, and a good thinning away of older culms to really get some timber sized culms. I noticed that the area inside the raised bed that was amended with lots of organic matter had much larger culms than anywhere else so fertilization does work.

Given that we get a nice warm winter this year, I may see some 2 inchers in my garden by spring.