yellowing of leaves

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

sater
Location info: 0

yellowing of leaves

Post by sater »

Hi
My bamboo is growing in an apartment with windows on the east. After the winter, I noticed that the leaves turned yellow, but veins remain green at the same time. Such a problem as the young leaves and on older
With what could be the problem?
1 poor lighting?
2 bad water (a lot of chlorine)?
3 poor land and the lack of nitrogen (in the ground it sits for 6 months)?
thanks

Tarzanus

Re: yellowing of leaves

Post by Tarzanus »

Usually this signs mean that the plant lacks Magnesium. I bought some Magnesium sulfate fertilizer to treat my Moso seedlings. You can make mild solution and spray it on it's leaves. Cannabis growers suggest using 1 teaspoon dissolved in 1 liter of water and I tried the same dose without any problems. It's normal that indoor bamboos that are not meant to stay inside become paler green.

It could also be lack of sulfur or lack of nitrogen. Solution I mentioned would help with sulfur deficiency, mild water soluble fertilizer would help with nitrogen deficiency. Spraying some leaves on the bottom of the plant before using it on the whole plant is advised. Any signs of damage should become visible in a few days, if there's no damage it should be safe. I prefer using mild concentrations and if necessary repeat the process after a week. Mg deficiency should be improved in a few days when applied using foliar feeding.

Leaf tip that seems burnt shows possibility of overwatering. If the soil stays wet, try to let it dry out almost completely before watering again. Some nutrients get locked (in my case last year - sulfur) in waterlogged soil, roots can start rotting as well, since there's not enough oxygen in the soil.
sater

Post by sater »

Tarzanus wrote:Usually this signs mean that the plant lacks Magnesium. I bought some Magnesium sulfate fertilizer to treat my Moso seedlings. You can make mild solution and spray it on it's leaves. Cannabis growers suggest using 1 teaspoon dissolved in 1 liter of water and I tried the same dose without any problems. It's normal that indoor bamboos that are not meant to stay inside become paler green.

It could also be lack of sulfur or lack of nitrogen. Solution I mentioned would help with sulfur deficiency, mild water soluble fertilizer would help with nitrogen deficiency. Spraying some leaves on the bottom of the plant before using it on the whole plant is advised. Any signs of damage should become visible in a few days, if there's no damage it should be safe. I prefer using mild concentrations and if necessary repeat the process after a week. Mg deficiency should be improved in a few days when applied using foliar feeding.

Leaf tip that seems burnt shows possibility of overwatering. If the soil stays wet, try to let it dry out almost completely before watering again. Some nutrients get locked (in my case last year - sulfur) in waterlogged soil, roots can start rotting as well, since there's not enough oxygen in the soil.
Thanks for the advice
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

One of the reasons for the yellowing, then browning of leaves at the tips is probably over-watering. This bamboo in the picture is showing some clear signs of it. There is no way that this guy is magnesium deficient since it gets loaded up regularly with all kinds of organic fertilizers, and micro-nutrients such as azomite, epsom salts, and old rusty bolts.

It does however get the sprinkler running on it on a daily basis, but I guess I'll have to hold off on it just a bit. It's not that bad, and it's only happening on one side of the plant, but it could get worse. It is almost time to solarize the soil around my smaller bamboos anyways as it looks like there is a major cool down in the forecast. I usually don't water them much after I have them solarized by the fall since the soil is covered up. I find the best way is to have grass clippings + decomposing manure, then roof tiles on top of that, and then another plastic layer to further hold in the heat so the soil temperature can warm up a lot. I could also add heat cables, but they tend to require too many watts of electricity to only provide a few degrees of benefit.

Here is the yellowing.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Stevelau, similar leaf tip burn occurs with calcium deficiency. Over-fertilization also shows the same signs.

I noticed that seedling in large bucket, loaded with granular lawn fertilizer showed also no leaf yellowing. It was placed in direct sunlight whole day - it was completely curled most of the day during the summer and it's shooting (and growing) vigorously. On the other hand I planted younger seedling into smaller pot with the same soil and fertilizer mixture, placed it into more protected location and it started turning yellow in the second part of the summer. It will receive some more fertilizer in liquid form, before I plant it into larger container next year. Moso seedlings need A LOT of nutrients to perform well.
williamraed

Post by williamraed »

I have to say that Recently placed bamboos need regular and liberal watering. You can make light remedy and apply it on it's results in. Marijuana gardeners recommend using 1 tsp. demolished in 1 litre of water and I tried the same amount without any problems. It's regular that within bamboos that are not intended to stay within become paler natural.
Senua grow room tools are useful