Polyploidy

Document your results with different mulches, seeds, mutations, TC or other experiments.

Moderators: needmore, David

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Polyploidy

Post by foxd »

Just a quick update on my attempts to induce polyploidy. One of the treated bamboos (Pl.viridistriatus 'Chrysophyllus') died. One of the two pots of Phy. aureosulcata died. Ps. viridula is still alive, but has not produced shoots. The surviving Phy. aureosulcata has produced some slowly growing shoots. Ps. japonica has produced some shoots. And recently the two pots Sasaella masamuneana 'Albostriata' have produced a shoot a piece.

I have no idea if I have induced polyploidy in any of these, but one of them does look slightly different.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
foxd

Re: Polyploidy

Post by foxd »

The treated Ps. japonica has produced a new, larger shoot.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
foxd

Post by foxd »

And there is also a treated A. gigantea that has done nothing.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Hi Dan-

Perhaps you could outline your process for us (at you convenience).

David
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
foxd

Post by foxd »

I'm still experimenting to work out the details of the process, but it seems to work out to soak the rhizomes for 24 hours in a solution of one part surflan to 10,000 parts water heated to 80°F. After 24 hours of soaking I thoroughly rinse the rhisomes and pot the bamboo. I figure the warm solution would get the buds on the rhizomes to growing. I have left old culms attached to the rhizomes to provide energy for growth.

Now the question is, does it work?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

The real question is "what do you hope happens?" :)
foxd

Post by foxd »

Alan_L wrote:The real question is "what do you hope happens?" :)
Some type of change in the plant other than it dying. My main goal is to see if I can induce polyploidy in some of the species that are known to be hybrids. But if the treatment causes some other stable change in the bamboo, such as coloration, leaf shape, culm shape, etc., I would be willing to accpet that as a successful result. :)
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

The treated A. gigantea has decided to start leafing out. Not dead yet!

Since these are culms I left attached to the rhizome to provide energy for (hopefully) the growth of the polyploid rhizome buds.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

The remaining Phy. aureosulcata is just about dead.
Ps. viridula is still alive, but has not produced shoots.
Ps. japonica is looking well.
The two pots Sasaella masamuneana 'Albostriata' have continued to produce shoots.
A. gigantea has produced a small shoot.

The wait continues...
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

Paul Ont
Location info: 0

Post by Paul Ont »

Do you have access to a microscope and chromsome stain? I can walk you through the fixing process if you do, at least then you could have a rough idea of whether it's working... Might be interesting to have a look and see if any of the boo's have, in fact, become polyploid mosaics... I guess the goal will be to isolate the polyploid plants from the mosaic clump?

I forgot to mention this before, but, when I induced polyploidy (by mistake) in some plants I regenerated via leaf cutting (in culture), there was an obvious drop in pollen fertility from 'normal' (c. 80%) to about 20-40%... And also the viable pollen becomes much larger (1.5x the size of 'normal' pollen). Just another factor that I though you should know about. It shouldn't affect your attempts at cross pollinating since there should still plenty of viable pollen!

Keep us updated!
foxd

Post by foxd »

Update:
Ps. viridula is still alive and has produced one shoot.
The two pots Sasaella masamuneana 'Albostriata' died.
A. gigantea has not produced any more shoots, but is still alive.

No access to a microscope and chromsome stain that I know of.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

meadowyck
Location info: 0

Post by meadowyck »

Do you have pictures that you would care to share....

It is always easiest when pics are involved...LOL

Jan
foxd

Post by foxd »

Update:
Ps. viridula is still alive and is producing shoots.
A. gigantea has not produced any more shoots, but is still alive.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

Update:
Ps. viridula is looking well and is producing shoots.
Ps. japonica is looking well and has probably produced shoots.
A. gigantea has not produced any more shoots, but is still alive. I have noticed a few new leaves and there is something about the base of the culms. I'm not sure, but the look a bit swollen to me.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

A. gigantea has produced a tiny shoot.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.