I think this is animal damage to culms

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Alan_L
Location info: 81

I think this is animal damage to culms

Post by Alan_L »

I'm pretty sure this is animal damage to these culms, as it's on the outer-facing side of the outermost culms:

Does anybody know what animal is doing this? I think it's either deer, squirrels, or cats, but could be wrong.

More on my blog here:
http://www.itsnotworkitsgardening.com/2 ... tible.html
needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: I think this is animal damage to culms

Post by needmore »

I vote for cats...
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Buck deer rub. It's a constant problem for me. We counted 8 bucks, and 25 does last week. I see this a lot!
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

I vote for deer.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

Looking at the photos again, maybe the culms that are completely rubbed tan are deer rubbed, but the ones with smaller, deeper scratches are something else? Unless the antlers have some very sharp points?
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

The scratches look pretty random, which implies it is not done by the claws of an animal. If it was done by a cat clawing there would be parallel claw marks. I have seen rubbed places like that on my Yellow Groove and we have deer in the area. (We also have cats in the area, but they seem to prefer sharpening their claws on trees and saving the bamboo to eat.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

From experience on my own legs and arms I don't totally agree with the "parallel marks" from cat scratches, but it's a good point. If they're scratching hard enough to dig into the hard culms, there would probably be more than a single claw penetrating. Plus I'd think that cats would use something wider. All of these culms are less than 1" diameter.

So are deer antlers *that* pointy? Must be.
David
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Their tines are sharp, but what causes the deep scratches are rough tubercles on the sides of the main tines. When they are making rubs they can exert tremendous pressure on what they are rubbing by twisting their antlers from side to side. Antlers are super hard solid bone, and are strong enough to knap flint points and tools, so small trees and bamboo culms don't stand a chance. I've seen bucks making rubs on several occasions, and it looks like they are at war with the poor little trees/culms.
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

Thanks a lot David!
David

Post by David »

No prob. If you find a way to avoid them let me know!
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

I wonder if you found something they're rather use than culms... like rebar, or conduit with some texture on it. Pound some of those near the edge of the groves and hopefully they'd use them instead of the culms.
David

Post by David »

They like to rub things that turn bright compared to the background. Rubs are part of their communication system during the rut, and so they want them to stand out.
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

white pipe (pvc?) wrapped with black gaffer's tape? or just painted flat black. ?
David

Post by David »

Never thought of it but PVC and flat black paint might work.
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b