Rabbits?

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

bigone5500

Rabbits?

Post by bigone5500 »

Could this have been rabbits that did this damage to my bamboo? It seems that they would have eaten much more of the culm than they did but only ate small portions of it. Here's what it looks like.
Attachments
DSC_2059_resize.JPG
DSC_2058_resize.JPG
DSC_2057_resize.JPG
DSC_2056_resize.JPG
Bamboo Outlaw
Location info: 0
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Re: Rabbits?

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

Classic rabbit damage down here.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

That sharp, clean, diagonal cut is what identifies it as rabbit nibbles, right? I think I read here a while back that deer damage is ragged, sort of ripped off, while rabbit chomps are clean. Right?
bigone5500

Post by bigone5500 »

I guess I'll have to put up some wire then.

*edit* got some stakes in and some wire up...now let's see them wascally wabbits get in there now!!!
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

I have plenty of rabbits around my bamboos too, but they haven't caused any damage yet. Looks like they prefer eating the grass/weeds. I hope they'll stay away from my shoots in the spring.

ocimum_nate
Location: American Fork, Utah High Desert, elevation 4566 feet, zone 5 or 6 depending on which source.

Post by ocimum_nate »

my daughters pet bunny chewed my Fargesia scabrida to the ground and then it chewed a nitida seedling to the ground. Needless to say there now an empty cage where Sparkle used to live.
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Bigone-

Squirrels AND rabbits are notorious for this type of damage. Both make a very similar sharp angled cut. I have had success with what I call "Staaannnk!" keeping the critters at bay. Crushed wild onions, crushed garlic, and rotten egg all mixed into a soup and just painted on, or filtered, and sprayed will keep all plant eating critters away. The only unique ingredient I have added to the mix is wild onions which nothing seems to eat.

David

P.S. Steve- They will eat your spring shoots. Your view of rabbits will change next year when all your hard work comes out in little round balls. When rabbits and squirrels discover bamboo as a food source they continue to eat it until battered and fried or repelled with "Staaannnk!" or some other similarly disgusting odor. Just a hard won word to the wise.
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
Matt in TN
Location info: 82

Post by Matt in TN »

David wrote:When rabbits and squirrels discover bamboo as a food source they continue to eat it until battered and fried or repelled with "Staaannnk!" or some other similarly disgusting odor. Just a hard won word to the wise.
Horses too - any part of that great Japonica I got from you my 2 year old filly can reach over the fence she eats! Luckily most of it is out of her reach. My wife was very worried about it growing under the fence and "taking over the pasture." No worries there... :albino:
"The Way is in training" - Miyamoto Musashi
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

David, too bad that you can't use your stiiink to deter your culm thieves - perhaps some well designed stiniink booby traps?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

:lol: Makes me laugh just thinking about a "Staaannnk!" bomb (That's deep south for stink.). Now you've put the :evil2: in me Brad. I'm imagining a completely "stankalated" bamboo abuser trying to get back in the house and Mom or wife pushing them back out for a good hosing down. :lol: Thanks Brad. I needed a laugh! :santa:
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

The rabbits and squirrels here are really bad. After several big birds of prey moved in that helped. I put up cages many years ago. After the boo got bigger, I had to go collect all the cages. The hurricane blew the cages around quite a bit.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
millerlightman02
Location info: 46

Post by millerlightman02 »

i had a lot of wabbit damage this year to a lot of new shoots.lets just say this spring there is going to be a lead poisoning out break in the rabbit community. :evil:
Michael Geis
wiener dogs and bamboo
what else is there?
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

David wrote::lol: Makes me laugh just thinking about a "Staaannnk!" bomb (That's deep south for stink.). Now you've put the :evil2: in me Brad. I'm imagining a completely "stankalated" bamboo abuser trying to get back in the house and Mom or wife pushing them back out for a good hosing down. :lol: Thanks Brad. I needed a laugh! :santa:
If I might suggest this type of stink bomb for your use:
http://www.beststinkbomb.com/?gclid=CJj ... DQodWF0vBg
http://www.zymetrical.com/product.asp?3 ... DAodTGSlNw
http://www.sevendeals.com/p-303-stink-b ... AodfG_oMw&

There are a number of vendors for this particular type of stink bomb and it is very effective. So if you can figure out some sort of delivery mechanism...

BTW, be sure to have a 55 gallon drum of baking soda dissolved in water handy in case of accidents.

Disclaimer - Use of this product on a Whaling Vessel is regarded as an act of eco-terrorism and possibly banned under international law.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
bambootony

Post by bambootony »

Here is one of my rabbit traps.... :mrgreen:
40 miles N.E of st louis
bambootony

Post by bambootony »

Here are the other 2 rabbit guard dogs...
Image.
They hunt well together almost every day.
40 miles N.E of st louis