Looking for bamboo that will grow in the Tulsa, ok area.

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

ewal_60

Looking for bamboo that will grow in the Tulsa, ok area.

Post by ewal_60 »

I am wanting to get started with bamboo. There is soooo many varieties. I'm over whelmed. I need help.
Arkansas
Location info: 0

Re: Looking for bamboo that will grow in the Tulsa, ok area.

Post by Arkansas »

Depends on what characteristics you prefer. I like timber types, the larger the better.

I'm due west of Ft. Smith about 85 miles and Ft. Smith is about 40 miles farther south than Tulsa. Lots of folks here are more knowledgeable than me but for timber types i think all of the larger "temperate" varieties will do well there.

I have Japanese Timber Bamboo (common name Madake) that's about 18 - 20 years old and 4 - 5 inch culms. Moso should do well here and i have year old ones set out. I have one year old Vivax Aureocaulis looking well and that's all i have plans for but there are dozens of others that will do great here.

A guy on this forum from Little Rock has an impressive stand of Henon Bamboo and that should do well for you too. Maybe some Sooners will chime in with local experience.
Jerry Hamilton

Post by Jerry Hamilton »

Welcome to the forum. Great place to learn about bamboo.

ph. nigra 'henon' should do well for you. I know where they are a grove of it in Little Rock that is pushing between 4 to 5 inch clums.
Phy. auresosulcata [yellow groove] also does well. There is a grove of it not far from my house, that is over two acres with clums over 2 inchs.

phy. aurea also does well here.
I am trying several different ones now but just got them this year.
Jerry
Redneck Bamboo Plantation
Sheridan, Arkansas
Mackel in DFW

Post by Mackel in DFW »

P. dulcis, glauca, viridis, makinoi, mannii, rubromarginata, the nigras, and S. fatuosa should handle the heat and cold in OK, but I am a novice as well.

Regards,
Mackel in DFW