What is the strongest type of bamboo, running and clumping?

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

stevelau1911
Location info: 42

What is the strongest type of bamboo, running and clumping?

Post by stevelau1911 »

I'm wondering what would be the strongest type of bamboo in terms of how much weight it can support. I'm guessing for clumpers, something like bambusa lako would be up there in strength. For runners, phyllostachys bambusoides, or henon.

I already heard that vivax is probably the weakest out of them all.
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

RE: What is the strongest type of bamboo, running and clumpi

Post by Iowaboo »

I'm guessing phyllostachys angusta would be one of the top ones, at least from a name stone bamboo, I would suspect such.
mr.mike
Location info: 0

Post by mr.mike »

I believe that Guadua angustifolia is about the strongest clumper there is available. (at least that's what I read somewhere).
bepah
Location info: 36
Location: Brentwood CA The rumor is that we are 9b...I think 10a

Post by bepah »

Strongest has a few definitions with regard to bamboo.

Do you mean tensile strength? If so, where it is grown, soil, water, wind, etc. will give different tensile strength amounts. This is the challenge for making bamboo a structural element in building.

Do you mean crush strength?

Do you mean impact strength?

Why is it important?

To my knowledge, there is no database that has precise measurements on any of this information. Even if such a tome existed, see the beginning of this post. Every year, the same grove may produce different sized culms due to the variation of climate.

Asking which bamboo is the strongest is like asking which one is the prettiest, or smells best. As of this time, it is all judgemental as there is no objective data compilation.

Very silly question, in my opinion.

If I am wrong, please opine as this would be interesting if there was a collection of objective data.
John Case
Rookie Gardener
Veteran Drinker
'Circular logic works because circular logic works!'
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Post by Roy »

I believe this is the question he asked:

"..strongest type of bamboo in terms of how much weight it can support.."
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
mr.mike

Post by mr.mike »

Check out this link: Then click on 'certification & research'

www.bambootechnologies.com

I don't think he meant the strongest smelling bamboo. There is a big difference between varieties of bamboo as far as strength goes. I wouldn't build a house out of B. textilis but I would gladly build one out of Guadua angustifolia, D asper and several of the larger bamboos available today.

I don't think that weather conditions have to much effect on their strength. A strong piece of wood is a strong piece of wood, ie... teak is teak, oak is oak and mahogany, well it's tuff wood too. The same goes for bamboo.

Thats what I've found out over the years, reading all about bamboo.
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

stevelau1911,
bambusoides & moso are not hardy enough in our zone and aureosulcata is weak. I'd probably think rubro or angusta would do OK. Now getting a few mild winters in a row so that culms can harden off is another story....
Rick
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

I'm planning on building stuff with my bamboo once I get some decent size culms so I might get angusta, or makinoi.
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Re: RE: What is the strongest type of bamboo, running and cl

Post by boonut »

mr.mike wrote:I believe that Guadua angustifolia is about the strongest clumper there is available. (at least that's what I read somewhere).
I have read that also Mike. There are a lot of methods for making bamboo strong once it is cut. Some of the question regardless of species relates to the age of the culm. Culms that have been appropriately injected with different types of chemicals last very long. I have read stories about diesel oil and all kinds of things used to preserve bamboo. I used to have lots of bookmarks on this, but it has been a while. Most of what I read was about preserving Guadua.

Some people swear by D. Strictus, because it doesn't split. I think preserving the bamboo with chemicals has to be part of any project where you want long term use of the bamboo. I am sure there is lots of information about preservation techniques online. Preserving bamboo basically falls into two categories... pressurized and non pressurized. INTBAR has some basic information. Good luck. I remember when I did all the research. I wanted to grow my own house. Because of our climate and lack of rain, I eventually gave up. Guadua will grow here, but stays very small.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: RE: What is the strongest type of bamboo, running and cl

Post by bambooweb »

boonut wrote:Preserving bamboo basically falls into two categories... pressurized and non pressurized. INTBAR has some basic information.
If you would like a book with a number of ways to preserve bamboo, the ABS still has some copies of the "Bamboo Preservation Compendium" by Walter Liese and Satish Kumar. Sue Turtle (ABSTreasurer@aol.com) has the copies. Chapters and some sources also bought bulk copies when it came out.

Bill
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

It will be at least 3 years before I will have some decent bamboo to build stuff with so I'm making sure I have a good variety. I'm growing for craft building, shoots for eating, appearance, selling divisions and mainly just a hobby.

Thanks for the advice on preservation. I can't wait until I can have decent size overwintered culms to work with. I'm hoping some of mine won't split like many types.
mr.mike

Post by mr.mike »

I came across this information about Guadua. It's not any high tech info but a bit of good information.

http://www.koolbamboo.com/Treatment.htm

Mike
dependable

Post by dependable »

Of the species I,ve got, PHYLOSTACHYS NUDA is supposed to be strongest.