off topic posts

Moderator: needmore

needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

off topic posts

Post by needmore »

Bill, how about either adding yet another forum or modifying the name of the "Other Plants.." to accomodate off-topic posts so that folks can still have fun off-topic posts but others can more easily steer clear of them?

How about "Off-topic & Other Plants/Landscaping" or something like that?

Also, when we drift totally off-topic amidst an original bamboo topic post, how would folks feel about one of the moderators copying the topic to the off-topic section and also leaving it at the original location, then deleting the non-topic posts from the original bamboo discussion part?

Just a thought.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1

Post by bambooweb »

Since we now have a "Bamboo Discussions" forum in the bamboo area what do you think about changing the "Discussions" forum in the general area to "Off- topic Discussions"?

Bill
needmore

Post by needmore »

That would be a good idea, I believe.
kstanwick
Location: Stillwater NJ z6a Sussex county. 20 minutes from the Del. Water Gap.

move

Post by kstanwick »

Brad i did move a couple of threadsrecently...one of them i created and the topic drifted and the other i kind of drifted myself right into wlamart so...i moved the whole thing.....something i normally dont do but i thought it warranted it....
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
needmore

Post by needmore »

Well, unless folks prefer otherwise, I'm going to try to help keep the bamboo sections bamboo related and move our drifting to the newly labeled forum. Heck, I go off topic as much as anyone but I'm trying to keep it in context with the posted topic, as much as possible.
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: move

Post by Roy »

kstanwick wrote:Brad i did move a couple of threadsrecently...one of them i created and the topic drifted and the other i kind of drifted myself right into wlamart so...i moved the whole thing.....something i normally dont do but i thought it warranted it....

Kurt,

Here's a topic that got hijacked twice. I was involved in one of the hijacking in the "Broken Culm" topic. You might want to look at this one and see if you might move some of these posts into a new topic or......?

Broken Culm
http://bambooweb.info/bb/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
boonatick

Post by boonatick »

Also, when we drift totally off-topic amidst an original bamboo topic post, how would folks feel about one of the moderators copying the topic to the off-topic section and also leaving it at the original location, then deleting the non-topic posts from the original bamboo discussion part?
I'd like it if a link or an anouncment that the new topic has its own thread could be added at the point where it starts to vear off,,,,sometimes the new subjects that come up in threads are very interesting but I refrain from continuing if its not about the original post,but I often would gladly join in if the new topic picked up somewhere else,,,,
I think posts like ,,,,,,,,
Anyone have Sasa veitchii for trade near Seattle?,,,, should be moved to Exchanges or a freindly reminder that there is an exchange erea would help,,,,Thanx again all you guys working on this ,,,feels like things are still forming but its coming together nice,,,,,
Kaylen. zone 8 borderline b.near Boerne Texas
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

Luky u gies hav mi' 2 keyp uz awn tasc.

8) The only member who has yet posted an offtopic comment 8)
kstanwick

moving threads

Post by kstanwick »

Should there be one go to guy that should be moving topics and such?? But...if we all try to keep on topic then it would be easier for everyone....I do know how easy it is to get off topic.....one/or myself might end a post with another small inuendo and then it goes from there...like the W word.....
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
boonatick

Post by boonatick »

I wonder about some kind of button with a drop downlike the "Jump to" only it would be something like Discussion about ______ will continue at ______,,,,,,,then a link would be made to a new topic,,,,,,,,,,,also at the new topic a Continued from_______ link could be added at the new topic to help new readers put it in context,,(kinda thinken out loud) ,,,,I dont know if any of that is doable but it seems it would not only help keep on topic but also would help finding info that you know youve read but dont know where
kstanwick

threads

Post by kstanwick »

Kaylen, when you move a post you have the ability to shadow the thread which means it stays there in its original spot and says moved...or something like that...... when i moved my W thread....i shadowed it...but there is an option to just move it all together.
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
boonatick

Post by boonatick »

An interesting idea just came to me,,,how about a flagging button that we could anonomously(or not) press to alert the moderators of topic digression,it would save the moderators time of having to read everything ,,,I get a lot of ideas ,I know only a small percent are practicle I just throw them out ,cause some might lead to a good one that will help,,,
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

. Just my opinion though. Are we making a mountain out of a molehill.
kstanwick

Aggree

Post by kstanwick »

Pat i do have to sway to the latter.... I think if its out of hand it can be moved. We are amongst friends here....you know kind of hangin around a campfire and people just talkin' having a few cold 'pops"...
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

I hope people don't change their style/humor out of worry it may upset someone. I believe this site took off because of a few regular posters that mix in humor amongst some education. It's the humor and education that keeps so many coming back.
Rick