Embedding Flash Video Content

Moderator: needmore

Green Man
Location info: 0

Embedding Flash Video Content

Post by Green Man »

It would be nice to be able to embed flash video content into posts.
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

RE: Embedding Flash Video Content

Post by bambooweb »

the next version of the forum software will have the ability to have flash videos in the posts. I am still working on the mods and I am expecting to move to the new software around December.

Bill
Green Man

Post by Green Man »

Bill, thank you very much for the feedback regarding this.

Are you writing the mods yourself then?
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

I have written a number of the mods on this forum such as the plant list, Location information, and exchanges. The other pages on the site that require you to log in to upload a photo or a link are also tied to the forum software.

Bill
needmore

Re: Embedding Flash Video Content

Post by needmore »

Green Man wrote:It would be nice to be able to embed flash video content into posts.
Why would a body go and do such a thing? Seriously, what's up with this?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Green Man

Post by Green Man »

Bill, I have tinkered with php but never written a mod.. so I salute you. :salute:

needmore >>> When I replied to http://bambooweb.info/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2140 I noticed that I was unable to embed a flash video as is possible elsewhere, but instead had to rely on a link to the video's page at YouTube. While not necessary, I thought it might be more convenient for forum users to optionally view content without leaving the site.
needmore

Post by needmore »

So stating the obvious, it would allow one to embed a video in the forum. Sweet mother, Bill, I'll pay another year's hosting fees if you don't do this! :lol: Unless of course it was setup so that the video did not autoload and us poor dial-up folks with no broadband future could avoid it. :roll:
bambooweb
Site Admin

Re: RE: Embedding Flash Video Content

Post by bambooweb »

needmore wrote:So stating the obvious, it would allow one to embed a video in the forum. Sweet mother, Bill, I'll pay another year's hosting fees if you don't do this! :lol: Unless of course it was setup so that the video did not autoload and us poor dial-up folks with no broadband future could avoid it. :roll:
Sure you say that now that the hosting costs are down to $10 per year. :lol:

I have not played with that part of the code yet but I would hope that it would not load the video until the user requests it. I also have not checked if you can turn it off in your profile like you can now for BBCode or Smilies.

Bill
Green Man

Post by Green Man »

bambooweb wrote: I have not played with that part of the code yet but I would hope that it would not load the video until the user requests it. I also have not checked if you can turn it off in your profile like you can now for BBCode or Smilies.

Bill
I believe it is possible to set up the forum software so that users enter only the url to a video and you set the embedded player code/variables within the mod, rather than letting users enter the full code provided to them by YouTube or Google. This should allow you to determine whether it auto starts or not. However, I am not sure if there is a way to control whether it preloads any actual video content or whether it is even necessary since the video is streamed on demand if I am not mistaken.

Here is a link that describes how to do it: http://forums.devnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?t=61188
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

If it is like video content on other forums, it doesn't load unless selected, unlike the video ads that screw up trying to read a web page. :evil:
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
needmore

Post by needmore »

It was the video stream ads on Gardenweb that led me to this site, back in the early days when there were not too many (any) of us posting. Now it is the best bamboo forum on the web so that is quite a change to have seen.

One of my realities is that it will be many years before I get any reliable broadband here the only real possibility is via the electric lines, and our cooperative has been testing for several years now but serious problems remain and they said not in the near future. Everyday it seems like more and more sites do the video thing and when that happens I bail out and I do not expect others to live in the techno dark ages to spare us poor dial-up folks, at some point I suspect that I'll be mostly limited to email!
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

There are a couple of other possibilities, such as via satellite or a radio link. There are plans on the web for making a high gain wifi antenna. I have a couple of spare dish antennas you could use which should give you all the gain you'll need. :)
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Green Man

Post by Green Man »

needmore wrote:It was the video stream ads on Gardenweb that led me to this site, back in the early days when there were not too many (any) of us posting. Now it is the best bamboo forum on the web so that is quite a change to have seen.
These type of ads are annoying and obnoxious.. regardless of your connection type! :angryfire: Whether you are referring to streamed ad content, a flash movie, or an embedded mpg, they all steal system resources and bandwidth when forced. Now, regarding actual streamed media that is piped to an embedded flash player; if viewing it is not optional then it can not be considered on demand.

An embedded flash video player has a relatively small footprint on its own. Only once a video is started are further resources such as bandwidth committed. That is where not invoking auto-start comes into play if viewing is to be considered truly optional. Fortunately, this variable can be disabled, requiring anyone interested to click play before the video starts.
needmore wrote:One of my realities is that it will be many years before I get any reliable broadband here the only real possibility is via the electric lines, and our cooperative has been testing for several years now but serious problems remain and they said not in the near future. Everyday it seems like more and more sites do the video thing and when that happens I bail out and I do not expect others to live in the techno dark ages to spare us poor dial-up folks, at some point I suspect that I'll be mostly limited to email!
Now you are just making me sad. :sad11:
Years ago I was forced to use dial-up myself (that or move to a different area). I too got my hopes up about electric power line transmission after reading some articles in 2001, but the line variances make that a real challenge. I watched helplessly as friends and family starting making the change to faster connections. Next the internet began to move on, redesigned for faster connections. Before you knew it I felt like I was an orthodox Amish living in silicon valley. The comments from others did not help. I understand your pain.

There may be light at the end of the tunnel. foxd's suggestion is a good one. I now have broadband, but have been considering a move to a more undeveloped area since 2002. A location where even returning to dial-up is unlikely in the near future. This forced me to look at alternatives in order to determine the feasibility of such a move. Heres a list of satcom links that I found helpful:
needmore

Post by needmore »

I've ruled out satellite as my TV one craps our frequently since we don't have much sky here, plus the cost is absurd, the speed is not a whole lot faster than dial-up - some, but still pretty damn slow, and also the multi-year contracts which I just refuse to sign anymore. Other than that I think satellite is a great option. As you know FoxD, the hills here make cell phones unreliable and towers (I don't think there are any in the county) would have to be so tall that zoning rules them out so I'm not too sure about the radio wireless option. A Christian group wanted to erect a radio tower to broadcast the Lord's wisdom (or an unreasonable facsimile) and they were beaten down by the locals, so towers may have to be well north and quite strong.
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

Green Man,
Would you like a HughesNet dish and DW7000 receiver? I have DSL now so I do not need them. I could bring them to Puyallup on July 12th for the grove cleanup.

Bill