bamboo info/personal info

Moderator: needmore

boonatick
Location info: 0

bamboo info/personal info

Post by boonatick »

I know this is a touchy subject and I maybe a fool for bringing it up, this is my favorite site,its even my home page but to keep it that way for all I think the posts should be directed to their catagory...In the "Growing Bamboo" catagory many posts turn into social events,,,,
I dont want strict rules or police and for the most part I like keeping up with everyone I just wish there was an erea where it was semi strictly bamboo talk
I am sorta middle of the road on this but my fear is that there may be people out there that will avoid the site that may have valuble contrubutions,its a toughy ,hard to please everyone,but as this site grows I think it will become more and more an issue,
Maybe a strictly scientific erea would help?or semi strict
I know this has been an issue in the past of several good sites that have faded away and I hope we can keep this one as nice as possible for as many as possible,,,,rgds
Kaylen. zone 8 borderline b.near Boerne Texas
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

So far it seems to be working well. We do get carried away at times(myself included), but stay within the limits. A lot of the people you may be hinting towards helped get this site going. I've noticed that in carrying on, often new ideas or thoughts will come up and discussed and or the original post/question is expanded. I don't think that Bill has had to step in yet to police, and given that many of us are very opinionated (among other adjectives), is fairly amazing. In my opinion, the site is the best because of the people who contribute and how it is functioning now.
Rick
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by bambooweb »

I have been thinking of moving 'exchanges' into the 'Bamboo' area and adding "On or Off topic" to the 'General' area description.

The "Sick of the Cold" thread in the 'Growing Bamboo' should be moved to 'Discussions' but since it had so much traffic I left it there, figuring I can move it when it slowed down or spring comes.

Bill
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

I don't see that post? :lol:

PlantPolice 8)
boonatick

Post by boonatick »

I also dont think its out of hand ,but I feel that it could be an issue down the road ,,,I was just thinking as much of a shame it would be to over formal ,it would also be a shame to loose valuble contributers,
The easy solution is to post in the apropriate catagory as much as possible
I've only been involved with bamboo three years ,I definately dont want to step on any toes,and absolutely want to see this site prosper,my insticts tell me it will be the most informative site in the world,
Talking with several different bamboo people that have been around I heard that this issue has brought down more than one good site in the past
It is my hope that we avoid this here. there is (I think) room for both,,,thanks Bill,,,,,,man I was kinda afraid to write this I love this place,I want it to succede ,English is not my strong point and I'm afraid I sound more heavy than I feel ,,,,I apreciate all the work ,yours and everyone elses rgds
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

BooKing
:lol: No fair changing the name of the thread. :lol:
Bill
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

Darn it...you caught me. :oops:
kstanwick
Location: Stillwater NJ z6a Sussex county. 20 minutes from the Del. Water Gap.

Kaylen

Post by kstanwick »

You fool.....only kidding here....Kaylen I have thought of the questions you bring up and we did talk about having diff catagories for that exact reason. Bill did create some others for diff topics such as this one....I think everyone has seen good forums go bad hence the creation of this one. This one is in its infantcy still. let's hope it stay a "good" one....If for some reason you feel a thread might be moved over to another area, I'm sure most if not all people in here would obligue...(sp?)....and another thread could be created. I know how threads can ramble and topics stray but Bill it right that sometimes other info comes out of it.....My biggest concern is when people get attitudes or become offensive. I have been here since the beginning for the most part and although i might not be the most knowledgeable about bamboo i do have an enthusiasm for it. I am concerned about the quality of the membership and the content that comes thru here. Bill has given me some rights to monitor the site and i thank him for that. I don't abuse it and i usually would run a suggestion by him first before taking action. If for some reason you or anyone needed something to be done or moved or deleted....it can certainly be done jsut by asking. Personally i haven't focused on the content of the threads, i have been focusing on the members that are coming in....checking credentials...valid emails, websites, send them a greeting email....I think having quality members here will keep this a "good" forum...forgive my ramblings but wanted you to know others feel the same way as you do. Also I have sent out private emails out to people if i wanted a private response back.....I did it in GW too but i think spike had too much on his plate.....to sometimes do anything about certain members etc....
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
bambooweb
Site Admin

Re: Kaylen

Post by bambooweb »

kstanwick wrote: obligue...(sp?)....
Kurt,

Is that a hint you want a spell checker added? :lol:
I know that should be in a new thread :) but at least it is in the right area.

Bill

edit: the spell checking posts have been moved to a new thread - Bill
Last edited by bambooweb on Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boonatick

Post by boonatick »

Kurt, thanks for that post,Its good and getting better,
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

I think this place is great with the knowledgeable posters gathering here. Up-to-date bamboo info that is being passed around here is second to none. I think in general that is why forums have become the new fad. Websites aren't enough anymore because they frequently have 'cobwebs', which seem quite old, when one considers many people tag online everyday, now.

And it could be possible to assume that this forum still wouldn't have taken off if it weren't for gw's meltdown. It does seem like we get silly here, and possibly, cheeky sometimes, but I think that stems from the family atmosphere we have created here.

As long as questions are answered respectively I feel its a job well done. I haven't heard of any apparent webfights, yet, on the bambooweb.info forum. But if Roy sends me a overnight delivery package of fireants, I'm sure one, such as myself, could be offended. :lol:

8)
boonatick

Post by boonatick »

lkz5ia ,, All true,,,I'm not sugesting absolutes ,or stiffness,but I do believe there are people out there that have knowledge to share that may get put off by off topic posts,they may then avoid this site and then I wont learn what they know ,,,,there seems to be enough places to post ,I'd like to see some of them as places of learning and others as social,,and some middle ground,,,I believe the more we post in "proper ereas",the greater number of people will will feel welcome and the more we will all learn ,,,If you get a group of bamboo people together you will notice a wide variety of personalities,some very different from others,,each with their own reasons for being involved with bamboo,and yet each has something to offer, my motiveation for this post was a hope to help create a welcoming atmousphere for as many as possible,I am a people person myself and enjoy being silly,I've even been a professional clown,,I agree that its nice to have a family atmousphere ,I just want the whole family to have a place at the table,,,,,,,,, rgds ,,,did I over do it????peace out
kstanwick
Location: Stillwater NJ z6a Sussex county. 20 minutes from the Del. Water Gap.

Kaylen

Post by kstanwick »

I think there is enough room at the table for everyone. It appears that alot of people already know one another thru diff. bamboo groups. I can honestly say that over in GW there was only one person that usually had pessimistic or degrading answers to a post. I haven't seen that yet here. I am hoping that won't happen and if it does....see ya....there are too many new people that want to learn. Bamboo is definitely different than any plant that i have tried to grow. I expect alot of "new" questions...probably redundant as well. It is a cycle....I like some of the "off or dry" humors that come thru here....as long as it doesn't become offensive.....Lance you are a pretty funny guy....
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden