Locations

Moderator: needmore

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: RE: Locations

Post by foxd »

rfgpitt wrote:Anybody know where I could find a more precise elevation?
Have you tried Google Earth?

A rough guesstimate of your location gives an elevation of 1,170 feet. What is the big burnt area?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1

Post by bambooweb »

mantis wrote:test

edit: ok now it's there. :)

Any way of hot linking my weather station? Also, the plant list seems to be acting odd... I'm getting a bunch of html italics flags around the bamboo names, and you get the dreaded 404 error if you click on any of the plant names. I'm also seeing the html tags in the regular plant lists, but those aren't hot-linked to anywhere.
I will look into the weather station link. I added the italics to the subroutine to show the names correctly in the species list but I will have to find the XML equivalent to work on the personal plant lists. The links should loop back to the same page. They will be linked to the growth data when I get that done. I will comment the link out until I get the growth data working.
foxd

RE: Locations

Post by foxd »

I have HTML tags for italics around my plant names.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

The HTML tags now should not be showing.
Also
Links, email addresses and carriage returns now work in the notes and weather notes fields.

Bill
foxd

Post by foxd »

Do we use html or BBCode in the Weather Notes fields?

Is there any way of inserting italics in the "Not Listed" plants entry?

http://bambooweb.info/bb/personalmap.php?LID=21
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

Bill, once again thank you for your work on this site. 8)
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

foxd wrote:Do we use html or BBCode in the Weather Notes fields?

Is there any way of inserting italics in the "Not Listed" plants entry?

http://bambooweb.info/bb/personalmap.php?LID=21
Just use the URL like http://bambooweb.info or www.bambooweb.info

Code: Select all

http://bambooweb.info or www.bambooweb.info
Note that you need a space before and after the address for the code to find the link.

For an email address just enter it like

Code: Select all

someone@somewhere.com
and it will be converted to a clickable link that link harvesters should not find. i.e. someone@somewhere.com

Bill
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

Rick, thanks for the tip, however with me, double click zooms in, one click does nothing, right click does nothing.....

leave any issue to be found, to me..... I am a black hole for technology!
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

foxd wrote:Have you tried Google Earth?

A rough guesstimate of your location gives an elevation of 1,170 feet. What is the big burnt area?
Thanks foxd!

Looks like I'm right around 1,150 feet. The picture was taken before any houses were built (or roads) in my neighborhood. Can't get an exact location just yet. Not sure if those trees were burnt or if it was just fall - the picture was probably taken in fall on 2005 (or before). If you scroll up near the horizontal road (McDowell Ln) you can see some earth moving equipment. Judging by the downed trees, they were just starting to clear the area.
Rick
foxd

Post by foxd »

rfgpitt wrote:
foxd wrote:Have you tried Google Earth?

Thanks foxd!

Looks like I'm right around 1,150 feet. The picture was taken before any houses were built (or roads) in my neighborhood. Can't get an exact location just yet. Not sure if those trees were burnt or if it was just fall - the picture was probably taken in fall on 2005 (or before). If you scroll up near the horizontal road (McDowell Ln) you can see some earth moving equipment. Judging by the downed trees, they were just starting to clear the area.
You might borrow/buy a GPS receiver which can pin point a location down to about 6 foot accuracy. A very useful tool for navigation too.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

svendrix
Location info: 25

USDA Zone 6B (possibly 7A/7B/8A depending on who you ask around here, so I am sticking with the most conservative estimate for now)

Elevation 700 feet
Constant winds (10-20 MPH)

Post by svendrix »

I was looking to see if I could find the 2 sites I used to find my elevation based on a garden blog article I once read. I couldn't find it, but here is a fun site that uses Google Earth, you can find your place, and it gives you the Longitude/Latititude. Probably the same thing foxd mentioned, but possibly a nicer interface? It was very quick to find my elevation (which did match the elevation I found during my two step method a couple months back).

http://www.earthtools.org/

---Sven
foxd

Post by foxd »

In the bottom left of the map display, Google Earth displays the Latitude, Longitude and Elevation of the spot pointed to by the pointer.

I've been looking for a hardiness zone map overlay for Google Earth. So far I haven't found one. But the Weather overlay is wonderful!
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

I should be able to get the elevation data from here: http://www.topocoding.com/index.php?opt ... r&Itemid=5

Their API looks simple and they have a function to convert "meters to feets" :)

Hopefully they are stable because their forum gives a message that they are the allowed memory size is exhausted.

Bill
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

I put in the code from topocoding and moving the marker now also puts in the elevation.

Bill