86%

Total votes: 7

bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Google Maps test

Post by bambooweb »

I have some bamboo location maps for you to try out. The links in the bamboo lists will go to the growth data for the plant at the current location.

map1
http://www.hollenback.com/bambooweb/map1.php
has two tabs with location information on one and bamboos listed on the other.

map2
http://www.hollenback.com/bambooweb/map2.php
has the location information broken down on three tabs. The bamboo information would be on a panel to the right of the map but it is not coded yet.

map3
http://www.hollenback.com/bambooweb/map3.php
has the location information on the first three tabs and the bamboos grown at the location in the fourth tab.

The final map will be linked from the location areas in the forum with the map being centered on the persons location with the info box open and from the Growth Data in the main menu and filtered for each species from the species list. The growth data pages will also be linked to each person's plant lists for both entry and display.

Note for the location of the markers I used something near the center of your town but in the final version you can move the marker to where you have the plants, or leave it in a vague location if you are afraid of visitors.

I have also read that Google starts slowing down at about 75 to 100 displayed markers so I will have to add code to limit the number of markers on the page before I make it live.

Would you check them out and comment on the speed and your choice.

Thanks
Bill
Mike McG
Location info: 71

RE: Google Maps test

Post by Mike McG »

Bill

My vote would be for #2 but with a smaller tab (if possible) so the map does not move if reasonably centered.

Mike near Brenham TX
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Post by Roy »

Bill,

Not much to say, but I hate "Silence of the Culms", so I'll give you some feedback.

I voted for number 3 because there seems to be more potential for adding additional information if you have 4 slots to add information.

2nd choice is number 1

3rd choice is number 2 (I didn't like the way the listing of bamboos was displayed.

Other than that, go with what the majority want or what you feel most comfortable with.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

I added Boonut's icon to all the maps and resized the Info window and added the side-panel in #2.

I wish I could make the beak at the bottom of the info window smaller so it took up less room. I would have to recreating the whole window and display in code.

Bill
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

I liked the ones with more information. Tabs help break it up and easier to use. Thanks for all the work Bill. Try the new and improved boopin.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
boonut
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

How about a "Boonut" pin. Alkaline soils. Soil survey: Raymondville Clay Loam. Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. Heat Zone 10. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Latitude: 26? 14' 17.8794"
Longitude: -97? 41' 29.9394"

Ya'll come on down...
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

The form for entering locations is at http://www.bambooweb.info/DataEntry.php log in and click on 'new location'.

It will not show up on the map until I copy the table over or I move the site to the new host. I will add the Lat,Lon and weather notes fields when I get back to my office so you might want to wait till the 2nd to enter your information. In the final version I will use Google Maps to select the pin position. I will also add the metric conversions for the rest of the planet.

Bill
mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

I tried entering my location and info, but the enter box is grayed out. :?
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: Google Maps test

Post by Roy »

mantis wrote:I tried entering my location and info, but the enter box is grayed out. :?
OK, I'll ask perhaps the "stupid question": Are you logged in?
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
mantis

Post by mantis »

Roy wrote: OK, I'll ask perhaps the "stupid question": Are you logged in?
Yep. The form won't even let you get to the entering data page unless you are logged in.
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

After entering text into a text box you need to click on another entry so the code knows you are through typing.
I will fix that when it is moved to the new host.

Bill
mantis

Post by mantis »

bambooweb wrote:After entering text into a text box you need to click on another entry so the code knows you are through typing.
I will fix that when it is moved to the new host.

Bill
Problem was with Firefox. Opening the form in the IE tab let me enter the info.
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

I removed the disabled state on the submit button on the form evidently when you try to turn the disabled state of a button off with javascript it is "security error 1000" in Firefox.

I also found a problem with the saving code so it should work now.

Bill
boonut

Post by boonut »

I just entered all the info for the Boonut Farm. Look forward to seeing it on the map.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

Has any thought been given to putting in the location of each species we have on the map. Or would that just be asking for trouble from bamboo rustlers? :?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.