Test Site.

Moderator: needmore

bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Test Site.

Post by bambooweb »

I now have the test site up so I can make changes without bringing this site down. The first thing that I am working on is the bamboo exchange list.

You can check out the progress at: http://www.hollenback.com/bambooweb/ but remember if I am working on something expect errors.

I will ask people to test new additions before they are brought over here.

Bill
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

RE: Test Site.

Post by boonut »

Hi Bill,

Are you moving away from IPowerWeb? They are transitioning my website now. If you have changed to another hosting service, what did you decide to go with?
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

I have moved hollenback.com to bluehost.com after finding out under the new system that I have the same username as someone else. I tried calling ipower tech support but I have not been able to reach them on the phone in under 40 minutes since I started calling them about the connection problems here that started in August.

An ipower salesman also called me last month trying to push me into a Virtual Server and told me that it would be cheaper for me. I checked the prices and it would had cost me twice what I was currently paying. He kept trying to tell me that I would get the money I paid for hosting back and I would have a gain since one year of a virtual server was less than I would get back but I had paid for three years of hosting so his great deal was one year of what he was trying to sell me was less than the three years I had paid for on my current plan. He finally stopped calling after I told him that I was not interested three different times.

Bluehost also does not have the max_questions problem that shut down this forum and the auction a number of times.

It looks like if when this site is converted on ipower I will have to shut down the forum and Source list sign-up to move the databases without people trying to post while it is moving. I do not know how long this will take but it can be expected. Hopefully I can get the source list finished before they want to move me and I might move directly to bluehost.

Bill
mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

So are we supposed to go kick the tires of the test site, or just leave it be?
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: Test Site.

Post by Roy »

bambooweb wrote:...

It looks like if when this site is converted on ipower I will have to shut down the forum and Source list sign-up to move the databases without people trying to post while it is moving. I do not know how long this will take but it can be expected. Hopefully I can get the source list finished before they want to move me and I might move directly to bluehost.

Bill
Some people definitely will have some withdrawal symptoms during this time. :lol:
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
mantis

Re: RE: Test Site.

Post by mantis »

Roy wrote:
Some people definitely will have some withdrawal symptoms during this time. :lol:
As long as it happens the week of Dec. 22nd - Dec. 29th I'll survive (I'll be visiting relatives in MN that week) :D
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

Go ahead and test it out and see if you can find more things that don't work. I think I have found most of the problems with the existing code. Bluehost uses the updated programming language php v5 where this site uses php v4 and there seems to be enough difference that some things did not work. That is the reason that I did not get ipower to upgrade me here.

Bill
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

I have been going through some tough times with IPower and the transition. What a nightmare. Their support folks are just rude and unresponsive. I did a little research and found thousands of folks are having problems with them.

I decided to sign up for a new domain through HostMonster. They had a great deal for only $4.95/month with a 2 year signing deal. Free domain, free registration and transfers, etc..

My daughter is learning Ruby on Rails, so I was glad to see they support it and they also have ruby gems. She is a Computer Science student at the University of Texas at Pan American.

They were very responsive and had the site up in minutes. Now I need to try to get IPower to release the other domain names.

I won't go back to those folks.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

I have been working on the plant and exchange list changes. If anyone would like to go to the test site and check out the profile changes and the exchanges forum and make comments on the layout it would be welcomed.
To see all of the changes you will have to log in to the site.

Bill
mantis

Post by mantis »

So I went into Exchange, put in a plant (that is on my want list), and hit the Want button, but nothing happened. The format looks like it will work nicely when you have it up and running. 8)
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

To me the style (especially the blocks) is harder to read and quickly scan through. Would it be possible to shade every other row?
Rick
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

Rick,
Thanks for the suggestion. I did alternate the color behind the rows.

I should have the page that displays the list of people to trade with finished this weekend so the buttons now just point back to the current page.

Bill
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

iPower has set up the Transition Kiosk set up for this site so I was able to change the transition date to March 30th then I changed it to manual.

I was able to log into vDeck version three and they still have fewer tools than bluehost. The ipower "Upgrade" also does not change to the newer version of php. The version that ipower has is discontinued so after the 2008 Source list is finished I will move the site to bluehost rather than have to move it here then try to get things upgraded.

Bill
needmore
Location info: 0

Post by needmore »

Bill, I attempted to move my site to Bluehost and got the message that my domain is locked and can't be moved, they said to contact Ipowerweb. Well, been trying but too long wait time thus far, have you had to do this and/or is there an easier way than contacting IPWeb?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

Brad,
In vDeck go to the Domain Manager or you can go to https://manage.opensrs.net/ You will have to log in again then near the bottom of the page you should see "Domain Lock Status" and you can change it there.

While there you also need to go to the extra info page and turn off privacy, if you have it on. On that page you can also get the transfer authorization code to give to bluehost to start the transfer.

note: if you have privacy on it takes a day to turn off so you will have to wait a day after turning it off to move the domain.

Bill