Millipedes of Doom

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Millipedes of Doom

Post by foxd »

Does anybody have any recommendations for stuff that will not only wipe out millipedes, but act as a barrier to stop re-infestation?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
CadyG
Location info: 0
Zone 6b

Like Kyuzo (pictured above) in "The Seven Samurai," I've "...Killed (more than) two..." bamboos.

RE: Millipedes of Doom

Post by CadyG »

What do they do, foxd? Are they destructive to the roots? I thought they eat mostly dead organic matter.
Cady G.
"Killed two..." -- Seiji Miyaguchi/Kyuzo
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Re: RE: Millipedes of Doom

Post by rfgpitt »

CadyG wrote:What do they do, foxd? Are they destructive to the roots? I thought they eat mostly dead organic matter.
Wikipedia wrote:Most millipedes eat decaying leaves and other dead plant matter, moisturizing the food with secretions and then scraping it in with the jaws. However they can also be a minor garden pest, especially in greenhouses where they can cause severe damage to emergent seedlings. Signs of millipede damage include the stripping of the outer layers of a young plant stem and irregular damage to leaves and plant apices.
I had an infestation of aphids early winter in my garage. The mixture of bug killer I made up in a spray bottle was almost enough to take me out. Took a few plants outside and sprayed in the wind, inhaling more than what's recommended. Coughed for about 10 minutes. No bugs since, although I have noticed some curled up millipedes on top of the soil.
Rick
foxd

Post by foxd »

I think my main problem is that a full grown millipede will come along and deposit its offspring in a pot. With hundreds of them quickly growing in a small pot they run out of decaying matter and turn on the roots for food. A plant that was looking healthy will suddenly die in a matter of days. And then they swarm, :shock: (Insert Emoticon for run screaming here!)
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
CadyG
Zone 6b

Like Kyuzo (pictured above) in "The Seven Samurai," I've "...Killed (more than) two..." bamboos.

Post by CadyG »

I didn't realize you were speaking of bamboo in containers. It makes sense that when the millipedes run out of their natural food that they'd have to start munching on live plant material. Are there any pesticides that destroy eggs before they hatch? Maybe spray the surface soil with a pyrethrim based insecticide. It the varmints are in the soil, you might have to remove the bamboos, wash their roots and replace the potting mix, then keep them off the ground on pot feet or rocks so the beasties can't get into the pots through the drainage holes.
Cady G.
kstanwick
Location: Stillwater NJ z6a Sussex county. 20 minutes from the Del. Water Gap.

Post by kstanwick »

Yikes....I haven't come across that problem. Looking at some of my plants it looks like the deer hit mine pretty good except for a few. i will be curious how everything comes back in the spring....only a few more weeks left.....
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
foxd

Post by foxd »

CadyG wrote:I didn't realize you were speaking of bamboo in containers. It makes sense that when the millipedes run out of their natural food that they'd have to start munching on live plant material. Are there any pesticides that destroy eggs before they hatch? Maybe spray the surface soil with a pyrethrim based insecticide. It the varmints are in the soil, you might have to remove the bamboos, wash their roots and replace the potting mix, then keep them off the ground on pot feet or rocks so the beasties can't get into the pots through the drainage holes.
I have discovered they can climb, so the having the pot off the ground hasn't helped. They also seem to not be bothered by Diatomaceous Earth. I will see how the Malathion works that I had left over from the aphids last fall. I am also considering the idea of putting a couple of metal rods in the pot and passing a small current through the soil making the them decide to leave suddenly. I've heard this works on earthworms.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

CadyG
Zone 6b

Post by CadyG »

I believe that the effect of electric current on worms is due to the mucus coat they have that conducts the electricity. Millipedes, being "dry," might not respond the same.
Cady G.
Jeff: Igor's Apprentice

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

You could put up a "Stoner Lemur Crossing" sign.
Lemurs rub millipedes on their body to get high.

Here's a great video that proves it:

http://www.arkive.org/species/GES/mamma ... pe=qtSmall
foxd

Post by foxd »

CadyG wrote:I believe that the effect of electric current on worms is due to the mucus coat they have that conducts the electricity. Millipedes, being "dry," might not respond the same.
Since they need moist environments or they dry out, I think the moisture might help get the current into their bodies. I think it might make them uncomfortable enough to quickly leave the pot.

But first, I suddenly remembered getting a pesticide that is supposed to work on millipedes. Amazing what you can remember after a good nights sleep.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

CadyG
Zone 6b

Post by CadyG »

So, what is the insecticide you remembered? Not that I have a millipede problem. But it is good to be prepared in case a big meteorite hurtles to Earth and radiates the local millipede population so that they become ravenous, giant monsters who covet my bamboo. :shock: :)
Cady G.
foxd

Post by foxd »

Sevin-5 which appears to be Diatomaceous Earth permeated with Sevin. I'm hoping I didn't get too carried away with the stuff. I went a little heavy on it. :? The label warns against using too much, but then again recommends double the usual dosage for millipedes.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

With a Spectracide liquid concentrate (Triazicide?), I mixed up a batch with a 1 to 1 ratio in a spray bottle. No bugs and it didn't harm the cars paint. From the inhalation, I'm now growing another finger on my left hand.
Rick
foxd

Post by foxd »

No sign of millipedes this evening and the plants look okay.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

Still some millipedes.

Just for the record, the experiment of passing a current through the soil to drive the millipedes to the surface didn't work.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.