bamboo as a sound barrier

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

puiugrosu
Location info: 0
Location: I am a bamboo collector from Romania, eastern Europe I am a beginer and want to trade bamboo seeds plants and rhizomes with people from all around the world.I am a musician , but bamboo is my first hobby!

bamboo as a sound barrier

Post by puiugrosu »

Hello bamboo friends,
I didn't post here for a long time:my name is Puiu and I live in Romania;I started to collect bamboo about 5 years ago.
My question is:Can bamboo be used as a sound barrier( and maybe against dust and pollution), planted near the buildings,in front of a noisy place( highways)?Haw much of the noise(%) will be reduced by planting a green bamboo fence?Can somebody suggest some articles where I can read more about this on the internet because , here in Romania there are no books and magazines where I can get those informations from!?Many thanks,
Your bamboo friend in Romania,
Prof Puiu Grosu puiugrosu@yahoo.com
A musician who loves bamboo verry, verry much!
Puiu
CadyG
Zone 6b

Like Kyuzo (pictured above) in "The Seven Samurai," I've "...Killed (more than) two..." bamboos.

RE: bamboo as a sound barrier

Post by CadyG »

Hi, Puiu, and welcome.

Sound is blocked by dense objects such as thick walls, or berms (mounds and hills of earth). A very thick grove of bamboo might have some sound-screening effect, but probably is not as effective as having a wall or berm.

However, the sounds made by a grove of bamboo (the rustling leaves, the clacking of the culms) can help to drown out noise or to distract you from outside noises. Running water, such as from a garden fountain or a rushing stream, have the same effect. So, if you have a big grove of bamboo and a steady breeze to make the leaves rustle, it can be helpful. :)
Cady G.
"Killed two..." -- Seiji Miyaguchi/Kyuzo
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

Something is better than nothing. If you don't plant bamboo there, what will go there? The wider the screen, the better.
puiugrosu
Location: I am a bamboo collector from Romania, eastern Europe I am a beginer and want to trade bamboo seeds plants and rhizomes with people from all around the world.I am a musician , but bamboo is my first hobby!

Post by puiugrosu »

Hi friends,
Thank you I'm waiting for other opinions , too!
Puiu
A musician who loves bamboo verry, verry much!
Puiu
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: bamboo as a sound barrier

Post by Roy »

Post deleted. Information not desired.
Last edited by Roy on Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

cadyg wrote:Hi, Puiu, and welcome.

Sound is blocked by dense objects such as thick walls, or berms (mounds and hills of earth). A very thick grove of bamboo might have some sound-screening effect, but probably is not as effective as having a wall or berm.

However, the sounds made by a grove of bamboo (the rustling leaves, the clacking of the culms) can help to drown out noise or to distract you from outside noises. Running water, such as from a garden fountain or a rushing stream, have the same effect. So, if you have a big grove of bamboo and a steady breeze to make the leaves rustle, it can be helpful. :)
I would expect that a dense object would be better at reflecting sounds rather than absorbing them. In sound studios don't they use rather light weight corrugated tiling to reduce reflected noise?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

PS: most tropical bamboos make a much better barrier than most temperate bamboos, but then sometimes we don't have a choice.
Why do you say that? I would imagine temperate, if we are thinking running, would fill in the area and leave no square foot unattended.
Roy

Post by Roy »

Last edited by Roy on Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy Rogers
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

8)

#1. That's moso
#2. That moso is thinned
#3. Moso isn't used as a prime screening candidate.

This is what screen of running bamboo would look like

It would be think and a person couldn't see what's behind it. For all we know, there could be a soldiers ready to ambush us.
Roy

Post by Roy »

Last edited by Roy on Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy Rogers
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

Here's a little tighter stand of Moso. I don't think there was been any thinning in either image

If there wasn't any thinning, there would be culms that were less than ideal. Such as dead.

The grove of bamboo is fairly deep (front to back) and what really make it look really dense is that the picture was taken in full sunlight which makes it appear vary dark under the foliage. I don't know how good of a sound barrier it would be in relationship to the same depth of a typical tropical bamboo.
It could be an illusion and not that deep. The key to running bamboo is that it would fill in faster. Planting tropical apart would leave gaps for longer time. Alot of the running bamboo can be dense, too. Such as, where an individual wouldn't be able to walk through it. :shock:
Roy

Post by Roy »

Last edited by Roy on Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy Rogers
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Roy, the photo on this link http://www.needmorebamboo.com/bissetii.html
of the side view with the LP tank visible is a 2-year old planting of Bissetii that had many division dug out prior to this photo. The one lower down with the deck handrail in it is 3-years growth with lots dug out. A screen of Bissetii or Rubro may out perform a clumper in less time - in the appropriate climate of course?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Roy

Post by Roy »

Last edited by Roy on Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy Rogers
CadyG
Zone 6b

Like Kyuzo (pictured above) in "The Seven Samurai," I've "...Killed (more than) two..." bamboos.

Post by CadyG »

foxd wrote:
cadyg wrote:Hi, Puiu, and welcome.

I would expect that a dense object would be better at reflecting sounds rather than absorbing them. In sound studios don't they use rather light weight corrugated tiling to reduce reflected noise?
Good question, FoxD. When I was working in radio and mass communications/media production, the sound studios were insulated with fibrous panels that absorbed sound. That kept sound from entering the studio from outside and also kept sounds made inside the studio from escaping the studio. That's why when you were in the studio, the people outside could not hear anything from inside the studio, and people inside the studio couldn't hear outside sound. If the tiles had reflected sound, it would have bounced the sounds made inside the studio right back at us and into the microphone. :) Berms made of earth likewise are absorbant/porous to sound and "neutralize" the vibrations. I don't think you'd want reflective surfaces, again, for the same reason you wouldn't want them in a sound studio.

I'm not sure bamboo groves, however dense, can fully absorb sound. But they can certainly screen some of it, create "white noise" that distracts or partially neutralizes outside sound, and of course screens the view, purifies the air and screens dust out.
Cady G.
"Killed two..." -- Seiji Miyaguchi/Kyuzo