Looking for Phyllostachys atrovaginata

Moderator: needmore

Jrjerin
Location info: 0

Looking for Phyllostachys atrovaginata

Post by Jrjerin »

I am new to keeping bamboo and would like to get Phyllostachys atrovaginata. I currently have yellow grove in one area and would like to plant this in another area. I don't have bamboo to trade, but will pay you for shipping.
Thank you for helping me expand my collection.
Jacob
DCBa

Re: Looking for Phyllostachys atrovaginata

Post by DCBa »

Jacob,

I might have a few newer culms that will be available in March 2013. Send me a message in Feb and we'll see what I can do.

David B
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

Jacob,

I might be able to get off some atrovaginatas, but now is perhaps to worst time to dig them out as they are only around 2 months old. The stuff I can still divide off atrovaginata is 10ft tall at the shortest so that would require a 4hr road trip on I90 as my bamboo garden is just a bit south of Rochester in NY. Some time in late fall or towards April, right before shooting season makes more sense.

I might also be able to get parvifolia which is pretty similar to atrovaginata, except there's already someone here locally who wants a parvifolia screen with the rest of what I have as far as culm divisions as soon as I'm comfortable with digging them out, but smaller whip shoot divisions should be pretty easy to create with this species. I have a dozen in ground bamboos, and don't mind sharing anything that can possibly be divided without hurting the main grove too much. Most of my bamboo groves make at least some whip shoots each year which can make decent divisions in the spring.

You're in almost an identical climate to me, except maybe 2F warmer on average so most of the bamboos that thrive here should do well for you.
Jrjerin

Post by Jrjerin »

Thank you both I will be in contact.