Looking for Propinqua Beijing...still

Moderator: needmore

pokenei
Location info: 0

Looking for Propinqua Beijing...still

Post by pokenei »

I had a good Beijing shoot growth from a piece of rhizome, pictured here. Well, that one died after I brought it outdoor. The relentless rain, wind, and intense sunlight were too much for the young shoot to handle. The sun and wind did damage to the already weakened shoot and leaf buds, and the rain rotted away its root. It just didn't have enough leaf mass to absorb the moisture quick enough even though the pot does have drainage. Too much peat moss in the pot mix I think.

However, I do have another piece of rhizome in the ground since early April. I dug it up a few days ago to check on it and it still looked ok. It has not rotted away, but hadn't shown any sign of growth either. Hopefully something will grow from it.

I check on my boos everyday and it's a bit discouraging while I salivate over others' shooting and upsizing stories.

So, if someone have a decent small/medium sized Beijing with plenty of leaf mass, or a large root stalk with fat rhizomes, I'd like to hear from you. More like...I'd like to beg from you :)

Meanwhile, there is some good news. My recently planted Parvifolia whip-shoots are doing great. They're currently leafing out, albeit a bit slower than I'd expect probably because it had limited reserve energy.
Attachments
Beijing Shoot (Apr 21, 2012) - now RIP
Beijing Shoot (Apr 21, 2012) - now RIP
Parvifolia whip-shoot (Apr 21, 2012)
Parvifolia whip-shoot (Apr 21, 2012)
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Re: Looking for Propinqua Beijing...still

Post by stevelau1911 »

I could run a propinqua beijing rhizome through a drainage hole and grab a division, but I'm only seeing 1 whip shoot getting produced by the plant so far. This bamboo spreads very slowly, and is nowhere near as vigorous as parvifolia, but it's cold hardier.

I haven't seen any signs that this bamboo can be culm layered yet like dulcis where the bottom internodes of a culm can produce rhizomes so it looks like I need to do it with whip shoots. Do you want that whip shoot that's coming up right now? If so I can go ahead and force it through a nursery pot drainage hole to turn it into a division.

I didn't know those whip shoots had any leaf buds, but parvifolia has started shooting 4 days ago for me so I am guessing it should shoot in about 1-2 weeks for you, then again in late summer as long as there's no drought.
pokenei

Post by pokenei »

Steve, yes, I'd like that whip shoot (unless someone else has a Beijing ready to ship).
That said, I am still hopeful my in-ground Beijing rhizome would put up something. Has your Beijing put up any shoot yet?

Meanwhile, here's some update on my Parvifolia and Atros.
Attachments
Atrovaginata (May-19-2012) - This one retained most of its existing leaves since planted, even through frost, and is currently growing tiny leaf buds.
Atrovaginata (May-19-2012) - This one retained most of its existing leaves since planted, even through frost, and is currently growing tiny leaf buds.
Parvifolia whip-shoot (potted) (May-19-2012) - This one has no leaf upstairs, so it's putting up some new shoots from below.
Parvifolia whip-shoot (potted) (May-19-2012) - This one has no leaf upstairs, so it's putting up some new shoots from below.
Parvifolia whip-shoot (May-19-2012)
Parvifolia whip-shoot (May-19-2012)
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

I'll go ahead and force the propinqua whip shoot through a drainage hole, and I have 4 dulcis airlayered shoots which should become viable divisions in a few months as well. I can probably get you 1 of each by around September depending on how long they take to get established. I want them at the point where they can generate their own rhizomes.

I believe that the parvifolia whip shoots with foliage should produce larger shoots than the one without anything because it should have more energy due to having more root/plant mass, but they might take a bit longer if they are in the ground and the energy gets invested towards leafing out first.
pokenei

Post by pokenei »

Thanks. I wonder how Dulcis would perform in zone 5...probably not as well as the others, but I do like its form. Even if it dies back every year, it's still worth growing.

I am satisfied with the Parvifolias even if there's no new shoots this year. I think the net growth is more or less the same whether it invest its energy in new shoots or toward the existing whip-shoot branches. If I can get new shoots next year the size of the whip-shoots, I am happy. Although, one year is a long time to wait...
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

I do have about 15 propinqua beijing regular shoots coming out around the same size as last years maybe because I divided off about 70% of the grove, but it looks like at least get back to the same proportions it was last year, maybe a little taller. Also I think those parvifolia whip shoots with leave will put out at least some new shoots because its underground buds have been through a dormancy, and parvifolia seems to be a very vigorous grower, even from a tiny plant so getting shoots next year the same size as the whip shoots should be pretty easy as long as they are protected over the winter.

All I started with in 2009 was a very underdeveloped plant, less than 1ft tall which was likely from a rhizome section taken in 2008. It happened to make shoots in both June, and again by September to get up to nearly 3ft culms going into 2010.

Dulcis tends to be much less productive than parvifolia, and a bit less hardy, but growing it in too much shade might be holding mine back.
pokenei

Post by pokenei »

Yes, I am fully aware of your Parvifolia's humble beginning and its remarkable growth in a few years.
I started acquiring and growing bamboo in 2010 beginning with Nuda and Rubro, and then the Bissettii. There's been one set back after another. Had I planted a Parvifolia in 2010...I might have some 10 foot specimen this year to enjoy, instead, I feel like I am back to square one.

My little Nuda was top killed (from suffocation) this past winter and hasn't shown any sign of life thus far.

The big bissettii (10 footer that I acquired last year) should have done great this year, but I managed to kill that too. Death by drowning.

My Rubro, which I had over wintered indoor for 2 consecutive years, is now in the ground and growing new leaf buds. It lost most of its leaves through frost, wind, and sun since ground-planted in April. I was eager to get it out and into the ground early because it was taking on more and more spider mites indoor, and the tiny mites are detrimental to young bamboos. That Rubro now has a few more culms than when originally purchased, but none are bigger than the original culm - which has long been dead. Hopefully it will produce some up-sized shoot this year.
Attachments
Rubro - Not looking so good, but is otherwise healthy
Rubro - Not looking so good, but is otherwise healthy
Rubro - a closer look
Rubro - a closer look
pokenei

Just an update on my Beijing

Post by pokenei »

Sad news again. It is dying once more. This happened after a big rain storm followed by several days of intense sunshine and heat.

It was planted at the sunniest location in the yard. The soil is mostly worm castings, composted manure, with some peat and clay mixed in.

There wasn't standing water and the soil seemed moist enough that I would be happy if I am a plant.

When the shoot stopped growing last week and started to open up while the sheaths are still overlapping, I suspected something's wrong again.

I dug it up today and notice it had another shoot that was aborted. The rhizome is now replanted at a temporary location elsewhere. The soil there is a mix of sand, clay and compost, and is generally drier.

Is it the water or sun that killed it? I highly suspect the sun. The shoot probably told the rhizome to abort and wait for a more suitable time to try again.