Anybody want Pseudosasa viridula?

Moderator: needmore

Alan_L
Location info: 81

Anybody want Pseudosasa viridula?

Post by Alan_L »

I'm going to remove my Ps. viridula, as it has mostly top-killed for me the last two winters. I'll have to see how tall the current shoots get, but it's probably easily shippable. If you're interested, please let me know. I may be interested in other bamboo as trade depending on what you have, but I'll also just give these away (if you pay for shipping).

Not sure when I'll dig, but probably later this summer.
fredgpops
Location info: 0
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Re: Anybody want Pseudosasa viridula?

Post by fredgpops »

Hv a Ph.b. albovariegata available. Let me know if you want it in trade. Rgds
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Alan, about the same conclusion here the Viridula really disappointed me. It held up to subzero temps when young and jumped up to 9 feet in year 3 and looked really promising. Has gotten smaller ever since and I think I'll likely mow mine down. No Pseudosasa seems hardy to my climate, Jos says the Green Onion form is hardier but probably not enough to try.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
meadowyck

Post by meadowyck »

Alan

if you still are looking to ship and still have this available, I would be interested depending on the shipping.

I'm a newbie boo lover looking to get started without losing both my arms and legs, as DH would like me to keep them attached.

Thanks

Jan
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

Brad it's still doing good here. I have at least one shoot that is about half an inch in diameter this year. Could it be voles that caused the decline in your Ps. viridula? Or the drought last year?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Dan -- how much sun does it get? Mine is pretty shaded.

Also, Mike here in St. Louis (not on the forum) has grown Ps. japonica for years, and although it looks ratty after winter it was probably 15' tall. It may have taken years and years to get that way -- like his Py. heteroclada.
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

My viridula gets a lot of sun in the Summer.

However my Ps, japonica is in shade. Last year my japonica got 7-8 feet tall, but this year is back to the 3-4 foot range. :?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.