Post by Bamboo Conne'isseur »

Hello
I am looking for Ph. aurea Dr don. Maybe I can make a trade, or some cash
Aaron
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Re: Looking for Ph. aurea 'Dr don'

Post by ghmerrill »

I know that bamboo garden stocks it, if you are looking to purchase. The price on it has dropped dramatically in the last two years.
If you are looking to trade, you might check with Sean at madman bamboo

www.madmanbamboo.com

I've swapped plenty of plants with him, and have been very happy.
Bamboo Conne'isseur
Location info: 0

ghmerrill wrote:I know that bamboo garden stocks it, if you are looking to purchase. The price on it has dropped dramatically in the last two years.
If you are looking to trade, you might check with Sean at madman bamboo

http://www.madmanbamboo.com

I've swapped plenty of plants with him, and have been very happy.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I am would prefer a trade, but I will pay pay cash for a fair deal.
I believe this is one of the nicest runners that will excel in Florida, so I am going to give it a shot.
Aaron
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

When you get one, keep us informed on the progress. I just got that one a few months ago, and have not seen any shoots as yet. the new shoots look pretty spectacular, but I'm not sure if real life is going to be the same as the photographs- look st some of the f. Scabrida photos you can find on some websites, then look at the real plant. Amazing what a skilled photographer can do!
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Aaron, you might consider Phy kithophylla, it is suspected to well in 'mild' winter areas and is an attractive bamboo. Not quite hardy enough for me but David in TN I believe does well with it. Unusually thick leaves for a Phy. and sturdy culms of a slightly different green to my eye.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Bamboo Conne'isseur

needmore wrote:Aaron, you might consider Phy kithophylla, it is suspected to well in 'mild' winter areas and is an attractive bamboo. Not quite hardy enough for me but David in TN I believe does well with it. Unusually thick leaves for a Phy. and sturdy culms of a slightly different green to my eye.
Brad
I have never heard of that one, and I did a search and it pulled up nothing. Is the spelling right? i am all ways interested in finding out what runners will work down in our humid heat. The Dr Don is especially interesting for a number of reasons. we have Ph. aurea growing very well handling the heat and reaching the largest size culms I am aware of. I have personally seen a few in the range of 3 inches maybe just a bit more. So when I find out about this cultivar that has the blue waxy culms, and having a higher min. temp that the regular form, I think this might be the premier running type ornamental bamboo to grow in Florida, at least Central florida.
Aaron
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

Let us know how the runner experiments work out. Everyone I have tried so far gets smaller each year... and then continues to grow... but only gets about 2 feet tall. Many, simply die.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
Bamboo Conne'isseur

Allen
Have you tried Ph. aurea? It is one of the only runners i have seen perform very well in Central Florida. In fact, Florida has the largest size aurea I have seen, with the culms much larger than what has been stated elsewhere. i don't know how it might do in Texas though. I agree that most are a waste of time here, but the aurea is the exception. The Dr don seems very interesting because its min. temp is listed at ten degrees higher than the regular form, and that leads me to believe it should size up the same, if not better than the standard form. Next time I am around the Disney area I will have to takes some pics of the three inch diameter culms.
Another runner I have seen growing in South Florida at Tropical Bamboo headquarters that is doing excellent is Sinobambusa tootsike 'albostriata'. It was sizing up pretty nice, and was one of the best looking bamboos there with its nice structure, and variegated leaves.
I noticed that the runners(Ph. aurea) here do better under a broken canopy, but not if there is zero broken sunlight. They also don't seem to like full sun; seem to do better with some shade during the hottest part of the day.
Last edited by Bamboo Conne'isseur on Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Yes, my spelling was correct - as long as you change it to phy lithophylla instead of what I had typed. :drunken:
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Bamboo Conne'isseur

needmore wrote:Yes, my spelling was correct - as long as you change it to phy lithophylla instead of what I had typed. :drunken:
What can you say? you have a couple of good beers and the next thing you know typing properly becomes a real chore, I understand. :drunken:
I did check out the Ph.; I will look have to look more into its heat resistance. Looks nice though. I think with any type of runner in Florida, its not so much if it can handle the heat, but if it can do without a cold period(dormancy).
GHMerrill, I will let you know how it turns out. Hopefully it will turn out with those nice blue culms that last for nine months.
Aaron
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

I'm hoping the same for mine! :shock: