How to ship/mail Bamboo

Moderator: needmore

stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Re: How to ship/mail Bamboo

Post by stevelau1911 »

True. 3 weeks ago, or even at the beginning of July there was no rhizome growth on anything, but some of them have really taken off in the last 2 weeks. Some rhizomes will advance up to 2 inches per day as long as there's enough moisture. I'm only seeing the bissetii push rhizomes already over 2ft in length, but I expect all my bamboos to turn it up a notch by September. The could have been growing since June without getting noticed. Most of my other bamboos still show very little <1ft to no rhizome growth at this point. The bissetii in that picture was one of my potted ones from rhizome division taken spring of last year and being one of the earliest shooters, it also had an early onset of rhizomes that likely started in the beginning of July and is fully prepared to take over once planted.

With the way some of them have bushed out, I think all of them should have way more rhizome growth than last year. I also water them once in a while to make sure it happens. If they are supposed to try and balance out the culms to rhizome proportion during the spring, I want a huge network of rhizome running under all my groves. Some of the deep growers like Dulcis might already have something going on that is not going noticed until I trench around them in the fall.

Here's the thread where I complained about no rhizome growth. http://www.bambooweb.info/bb/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4385