Trade for unusual species?

Moderator: needmore

needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Trade for unusual species?

Post by needmore »

I've been container growing a few bamboos for a year or more to get them fat with rhizome before planting, this weekend I planted all but one - Phy hispida. Planted a squat 35 gallon Propinqua 'Beijing', a 25 gallon Parvifolia, rhizome rich 7 & 10 gallon squat Phy acuta, Phy incarnata, & S3 but held off on the Phy hispida. I already have it in-ground but this very full, squat 7 hispida is really a pretty bamboo - unique leaf form/color, and a shorter shrubby, hardy, pretty Phyllostachys. I would consider dividing it to trade for something rare if anyone has something I'm looking for, in particular the real Phy prominens as mine turned out to be Bissetii :roll: also would consider trading for another nice size Parvifolia, but I've got 3 groves of it started already so ideally I'm hoping for a different clone.

I also have vivax 'Aureocaulis', Phy lithophylla, and Ps. longiligua that I'd trade for a large Sasa kurilensis (green form) or a large Indocalamus hamadae - both of these are staying runts for me and I'd like to try again.

I can't think of much else I'm looking for but if you have something hardy & unusual to offer let me know.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
foxd
Location info: 21

Re: Trade for unusual species?

Post by foxd »

I know someone who could offer you some rather exotic and expensive lilies for them.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
needmore

Post by needmore »

Lillies equal deer chow so I have little hope of growing them out - unless you can convince my wife that she wants them in her fenced and newly expanded flower garden.
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

I will see if I can get a list.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
needmore

Post by needmore »

BTW, the Hispida is strictly a bamboo trade but the others I listed are possible.
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Hey Brad,

I've got some large to very large FS of the "real" prominens. I know the source, and have seen a mature grove, so I'm confident that I have prominens. I also have a 15 gal potted prominens in the cold frame. I would be willing to trade you the first division for a division of hispida. It is probable that I will have something this spring that I could divide in the fall perhaps.
So if you want to trade on a hope and a prayer I'd be agreeable, but if not that's OK too.

David

P.S. Or we could trade pot for pot, or my prominens for 1/2 hispida, and a division of Ph. Kwang. Just a thought.
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
needmore

Post by needmore »

David, I'm sure we can work something out. I'll divide the Hispida this weekend I can half or perhaps quarter it. For a future division I'd quarter it, for a half I'd want something nice - I hate busting it up, it is so pretty but this way I'll get to grow the remaining half out as a deck plant again this year.

I do have a Kwangsiensis I dug last summer and it pushed rhizome out of the pot so I put it in retail inventory. I also finally managed to get a few divisions of that Gigantea you wanted and one is in a 15 or 20 gallon pot I forget which, the others are more shippable.

Do you know the ancestry of your Parvifolia? Mine was imported by Susanne Lucas and I think that Ned Jaquiths is the same, don't know about Jim Bonners but I'll ask him. I know that there are 2 if not 3 clones of it with different characteristics so I'm interested in the others. I may have a lead on one of them already but I am currently interested in more.

I have Phy lithophylla & Ps longiligula ready to go if you need either of those. In any case lets figure something out.
David
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Brad- The parvi I have is from Jim, if it's a clone that you need I'd be happy to send you one, I have several in 3-5gal pots. We have a mutual friend who has what he called the Chinese Clone. He's going to send me a small piece of that when able. The one I have here grows like a weed. I have Lithophylla, and longiligula but they both burn pretty badly here. I'm hoping they will improve with age.

I'll be happy to work a deal with you. I looked at the roots on the prominens I have potted and it filled the pot with feeder roots, and a very nice chunky rhizome. The culm is about 1+" X 6'. It is a small FS that I just put in a pot to baby a little. I'm really excited about this one, I just hope the ones in the ground did as well.

It does have leaf burn, but no fault of its own. One of those many 2°F days I looked out to see that the end flap of my cold frame blown wide open, and the wind just howling. I closed it up, but the damage had been done. The only situation worse for a bamboo than being outside in the cold dry wind, is to be in the relative warmth of a cold frame and suddenly be thrown outside into the fury of the winter.

David
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
needmore

Post by needmore »

David - I unpotted the Hispida today and it was one solid hunk of soil, rhizome, and foliage so I sawed it in half and now have 2 solid hunks. I went ahead and packed it as I think it will ship just fine without any need to hold it since it is a solid mass. PM or email me your shipping info and I'll Fed Ex it tomorrow.
David

Post by David »

Brad,

Thanks. That sounds great. Must have liked living in a pot! I sent you a PM.

David
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b