temperature map

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Re: temperature map

Post by stevelau1911 »

It is possible to take screen-shots with a jing download, but there are probably a lot of other software that can be used to take a screenshot. The problem with jing is that will not be viewable unless you click on the picture itself on forums like this.
johnw
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

cp - On a Mac hold shift & command down while hitting 4. A gizmo willl appear and with mouse clicked & held you highlight the area you want saved. When you let go of the mouse you will hear a ding signaling the .png is now in Finder.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
johnw

Post by johnw »

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Current Conditions as of 18:18 Thursday, February 28, 2013

Station Summary Current Today's Highs Today's Lows
Outside Temp 2.1 C 2.2 C @ 17:59 -0.9 C @ 04:33[/b]
Outside Humidity 77% 89% @ 00:00 71% @ 05:11

Bet if I post again in 4 and 6 weeks times the temp here will not be that much different but humidity higher.
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

It looks like we may have another very cold month for March, but based on the NOA weather maps it should be above average temperatures by April basically through the rest of the year. I really doubt we will be looking at below freezing highs by the start of next month.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/p ... php?lead=2

johnw

Post by johnw »

The weatherman just said an hour ago March, April and May will have above normal temps and below normal precipitation. We'll see. :roll:

johnw
pokenei

Post by pokenei »

Theweathernetwork.com is where I got my notoriously unreliable 14 day forecast. But I like the graph.

I don't know about Mac, but on a typical keyboard, there should be a button called "Print screen" or "Print Scr". Press that and it captures the screen shot of your entire desktop. Then you just paste it in whatever graphic software you choose and crop out what you want. MSPAINT is always available on Windows.

The lastest update paints a warming trend in March...after this cold weekend.
Attachments
20130301.jpg
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

The forecast was calling for below average temperatures almost every day a couple days ago, but now accuweather is saying that the temperatures will be above average on 2/3 of the days. It seems like they can only do an fairly accurate forecast for 2-4 days into the future while the 25 day is simply a guess.

stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

Looks like the forecast is now calling for below average temperatures for the entire second half of this month, but I really doubt that it will be cold every single day. If this holds true, we still won't have any tree budding or any greenery until well into April. The forecast is usually unreliable so it could predict half the days to be above average in a couple days.

That would make a cool February and March, and when it is cold for too long, there could be a very drastic warmup at any time as daylight hours are already getting longer.

pokenei

Post by pokenei »

Yeah...it looks like March's earlier forecast was off. It's another slightly below average month. The rising trend does look promising though...
Attachments
20130315.jpg
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

You have nearly identical temperatures in your forecast for the next 10 days as I do, but it is a bit assuring that the soil should unfreeze in about another week. It's supposed to only reach -2C today.

As opposed to being about 5F colder than average, it was more like 15F above average in temperatures in the March of last year. This huge differential is causing a pretty big difference in the scenery around here. At the same time last year, some trees were already showing green, and bulb plants were already flowering, but this year, only the earliest plants have made progress during the brief thaw we had last week.

The good part about this cold weather is that it really doesn't leave much of a chance for any of my early sprouting plants to get going only to get freeze later.

Just looking at the temperature map, there's currently a huge differential in temperatures between the north and the south.
canadianplant

Post by canadianplant »

stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

I'm starting to get a bit anxious now seeing that shooting season is really starting to pick up in the south while the soil is still frozen with lots of snow cover up here :cry:

pokenei

Post by pokenei »

The weather seems to rise steadily, and by mid next week, we're pretty much frost free according to forecast. Assuming the forecast holds true, I estimate it would still take about 1-2 weeks for all the snows in my yard to melt, and another 1-2 weeks for the ground to thaw completely.

So, the earliest shoot I can expect to see is in the beginning of May. Now...which are the earlier shooters again? Rubro, Spectabilis, or Bissetii?
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

stevelau1911 wrote:I'm starting to get a bit anxious now seeing that shooting season is really starting to pick up in the south while the soil is still frozen with lots of snow cover up here :cry:
Is it surprising that shooting season starts in the warmer areas first? I'd much rather see winter linger than have Spring show up early but get us with a late freeze or two. It'll start warming up soon Steve!
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

pokenei wrote:The weather seems to rise steadily, and by mid next week, we're pretty much frost free according to forecast. Assuming the forecast holds true, I estimate it would still take about 1-2 weeks for all the snows in my yard to melt, and another 1-2 weeks for the ground to thaw completely.

So, the earliest shoot I can expect to see is in the beginning of May. Now...which are the earlier shooters again? Rubro, Spectabilis, or Bissetii?
I think early May would be in a best case scenario given that temperatures do either return to average or become warm. You also need to consider that the soil temperatures will lag behind even if it does warm up some time in April. Shoot buds also require those warm soil temperatures for many days before anything happens.

Is it surprising that shooting season starts in the warmer areas first? I'd much rather see winter linger than have Spring show up early but get us with a late freeze or two. It'll start warming up soon Steve!
It seems to say it will warm up for a while now, but that curve seems to keep getting pushed back further and further as it has generally stayed well below average temperatures in the last 7 weeks with a couple of breaks. It seems to show that temperatures will finally start to rebound in April.