Google docs for collective information

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

jpluddite
Location info: 0

Google docs for collective information

Post by jpluddite »

Howdy folks.

This question is for the moderators, I suppose.

Have you considered using Google docs to keep information provided by users? For example, I'm a member of a forum that specializes in VW TDIs. An obvious question that comes up frequently is "Can anyone recommend a good mechanic for car X in town, state?"

Someone on that forum produced a Google docs spreadsheet that is accessible by anyone with a gmail account that lists Trusted TDI mechanic organized by state. Any member of the forum is able to add to the spreadsheet. In other words, if I know of a mechanic in Central PA who does good work on TDIs, I can list his name on the spreadsheet and everyone can see it. The spreadsheet also keeps track of history, so if someone accidentally deleted everything on the sheet, you could just revert to a previous version. It's free.

I was thinking about this sort of thing for reporting the results of some of the experiments on this forum, or even for something as simple-minded as the question I asked earlier about shooting times of different bamboo varieties. There could be columns for zone and variety, and various people could list there experience.

jp
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Google docs for collective information

Post by foxd »

Actually I have my bamboo plant list as a Google document which anyone can read. It includes shooting times.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
jpluddite
Location info: 0

Post by jpluddite »

Hi Foxd.

How can I (or others) access the document?

jp
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

jpluddite wrote:Hi Foxd.

How can I (or others) access the document?

jp
Well, there is the link in my signature that says Bamboo List.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.