Trading with great people

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

Matt W
Location info: 91

Trading with great people

Post by Matt W »

I just want to express thanks to a couple of guys who have helped my young collection. Last year a trade was worked out with Gene that added several new species. Those "clown car boxes" are a treat to open. Thanks Gene, I'm looking forward to watching them shoot soon.

Just last weekend I got to meet David and his wife and complete a trade that had been in the works for a while. These big plants will accelerate my plan of covering this place with bamboo. David really knows what he is doing when it comes to transporting bamboo, I learned a lot about preparing plants for travel. Here are two of David's plants in ground. They were hanging about 15 feet off my 12 foot trailer with huge rhizome/root balls. They really look better than these photos, It was windy and bright here today.
Thanks David

the nigra

And the rubro
Had to pull out about a ton of hog head size rocks to get this one in where I wanted.
Matt
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Re: Trading with great people

Post by David »

Matt, It was good to finally meet both you and your wife in person. Look what my bamboo turned into!

It's hard to get the scale of this beautiful Damascus steel throwing knife from a photo, but it is over a foot long and well over a pound in weight!
I have not screwed up the courage to throw it yet. It's hard to launch a piece of art into space.

Here are the plants in transport mode that Matt and I traded, and also some plants for his cousin Jeff.

I had to crate the rubromarginata to lift it onto the trailer with Tyra my miniature backhoe.
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
Matt W

Post by Matt W »

Here are the two Spectabilis on either side of the small one I had.
Matt
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

David wrote:It's hard to get the scale of this beautiful Damascus steel throwing knife from a photo, but it is over a foot long and well over a pound in weight!
I have not screwed up the courage to throw it yet.
LOOK! Vivax vandals!!

(did that help motivate you?) :wink:
Matt W

Post by Matt W »

There isn't anything for scale in these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeyXrDlXhzE&feature photos either, but the pattern shows good and there's some cool music. :) It's made to David's specifications and has a nice heft. If he hits the bamboo thieves they will go down point or not.
Matt