Deep freeze in Deep South Texas

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

marcat
Location info: 28

Re: Deep freeze in Deep South Texas

Post by marcat »

If it was showing it would have froze off. I am definately not use to this weather. Got the well recovered and have suplemental heat. Hope it works. Weather should break tomorrow.
MarCat
Thuja
Location info: 0
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

Ya, that's gotta be hard when the big plants get damaged. Here's some love for Sugar Land!

Ironically, here we've so far had a pretty mild winter, with lots of snow. I actually may wind up with less winterkill than normal. Well, that is if I can get thru the rest of January and all of February without anything too nasty. :roll:
--Mike
mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

All of my textilis (textilises?) are going to defoliate. Minor damage on Golden Goddess and Alphonse Karr. My emeiensis is crispy. Even the clone-x is looking ugly. The plant that has come through the best is D. minor 'Amoenus'. 8)
marcat

Post by marcat »

Mantis my Angle mist got burned about 50% in that first freeze but the surviving leaves went through this one fine. Weird.
MarCat
mantis

Post by mantis »

According to the NOAA, as of Jan. 14th I have a 10% chance of staying above freezing for the rest of the winter. 50% date is Feb. 15th, and 90% is March 18th. Seeing how this winter has gone so far I better keep everything protected until mid-March.

http://cdo.ncdc.noaa.gov/climatenormals ... tes/TX.pdf

8)
marcat

Post by marcat »

90% Mar 18 that must be when La Nina kicks back in...hot and dry again.
MarCat
mantis

Post by mantis »

I just took a moon light stroll through the back yard. It is probably good there is nearly a new moon tonight, because from what I could make out it is ugly out there. Oldhamii 100% leaf drop. I have never heard of such a thing in Houston. It appears that my love of D. minor 'Amoenus' was premature, and it will also 100% defoliate.

I won't mince words: 18 degrees is an evil bitch for tropicals. 4 years of work getting wiped out in a day out-and-out sucks. I guess the bright spot is that this should be a 20 year event, and hopefully Mother Nature got it out of her system for another 2 decades. My #1 lesson? Never put any plant in the ground that you don't have in a pot in the greenhouse. There are a couple plants that I will buy again if they don't come back in the spring, but there are many more that I will won't try again.

To be continued...
AimlessRolling

Post by AimlessRolling »

Looks like my D. Giganteus has severe leaf burn on about 15 plants around 2.5 years old located near Houston TX. I'll be really bummed if they die off......
AimlessRolling

Post by AimlessRolling »

Here are some pics of the FREEZE damage to my D. Giganteus. What is the next step, should the brown/dry parts be mercifully pruned now or should I wait until I see new growth and prune dead material at that time? Looking at the plants there appears to be a definite "transition" from living to dead material.

The carnage of top kill:

The green to brown transitions:

More transitions:

Anyone got experience and/or suggestions on what needs to be done and when to do it?

Thanks,
Aimless