Cold Thur night

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

Jerry Hamilton
Location info: 0

Re: Cold Thur night

Post by Jerry Hamilton »

Actually, BBQ ribs, fried chicken and chocolate.
That sounds better than french toast. :D
Redneck Bamboo Plantation
Sheridan, Arkansas
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

around here, we get snow so infrequently, everyone rushes to the store to stock up, slides into the ditches because they dont know how to drive in it, so the stores are dead, and everyone is along the road trying to help each other out of a ditch, or waiting for someone to pull them out (who is probalby held up because they are in another ditch) :wink:

we had freezing rain a couple weeks ago, and I was AMAZED at the numbers of cars off the sides of the roads. Snowstorms are not much better around here.....
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

Alan_L wrote:
foxd wrote:And I'm still waiting to see what the temperature does on the 15th before I write anything to jinx the weather.
What's so special about the 15th?
After plotting and averaging several years of temperature data I noticed a pattern. The curve looks like a sine wave except there is a pronounced "glitch" about the 15th of January. No idea if this will disappear with more data or become more pronounced. But I can't help noticing that last year it got really cold for several days on and following that date. (-8°F and 50 mph wind gusts.)
min-temp.GIF
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Well good news! In order to maintain the average low of around 20 F like the graph shows for 1/15, this year it will be 51 F on Jan 15 (to offset the -8 F from last year) :D
foxd

Post by foxd »

Alan_L wrote:Well good news! In order to maintain the average low of around 20 F like the graph shows for 1/15, this year it will be 51 F on Jan 15 (to offset the -8 F from last year) :D
Uhmmm...I don't think it works quite like that. :?

Anyway, the 15th is still a week away.

BTW, I don't how widespread that Jan 15th temperature drop is.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
dudley
Location info: 44
zone 9a/b
right between too cold & not cold enough

Post by dudley »

saturday is forecast to be the lowest daytime high ever in central florida! following a predicted a.m. snowfall. over 90 sea turtles have been rescued from mosquito lagoon. iguanas in south florida are literally going into torpor and falling from the trees.
most of my boos are ok so far but hamiltonii is top killed for the second year in a row.
"Plants are people just like us"
bambootony

Post by bambootony »

Hopefully the worst is over???
I just checked all my bamboo and it looks like my Bissetii and Rubromarginata are toast....
They look really bad! Only time will tell but I'm almost sure that I will have at least 75% leaf drop.
The planted P.Nigra looks bad too even though I had it covered.
Everything protected by the side of the house looks good.
High 20's the next 3 days and then in the 40's
From Bamboo Tony
40 miles N.E of st louis
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

I think so because it has been below average temperatures for several weeks already and I don't think this can continue all winter.

P Rubromarginata is actually performing much better for me than I expected despite being completely exposed to the wind with large leaves. I always thought big leaves meant cold sensitivity but I guess it doesn't matter. Other than my yellow groove, I can't check the condition of any of my other boos because of the snow.

Rubromarginata
bambootony

Post by bambootony »

Hey Steve,
Your Rubro looks better than mine.
I am certain that the cold will not kill my Rubro or Bissetii. It should just set it back for spring.
The snow is almost melted on the piles of mulch I have because of the 5000 Xmas tree lights.
The lights will keep the ice from building up in my mulch and let the boo get water. At least that is the plan...

I hope to have a nice dense grove of Arundinaria gigantea and Yellow groove on the N. W. corner to block most of the wind next winter. I have 10 pots of gigantea in my dads green house to transplant next spring.
+ I will be digging lots of yellow groove next year.
It seems that the 'Aureocaulis' might be my most "COLD" hardy as the potted and planted look un-affected by the cold.
+ I will have my own greenhouse which should block alot of wind, done by next winter.
I would have finished it this year, BUT my chiminey fell off my roof so I spent the time rebuilding the brick and repairing the BIG hole it made.... :roll:
40 miles N.E of st louis
Matt in TN
Location info: 82

Post by Matt in TN »

bambootony wrote:Hopefully the worst is over???
I just checked all my bamboo and it looks like my Bissetii and Rubromarginata are toast....
They look really bad! Only time will tell but I'm almost sure that I will have at least 75% leaf drop.
The planted P.Nigra looks bad too even though I had it covered.
Everything protected by the side of the house looks good.
High 20's the next 3 days and then in the 40's
From Bamboo Tony
Where are you, Tony, and how old is your Rubro? I've got rubro here that seems completely unaffected by this long stretch of cold (avg for the last week was 18°F, low of 8°F, high of 32°F). It's a little bit older though - maybe 5 or 6 years now, with a field division and complete move 2 years ago. I think once yours matures a little (assuming it's young) it'll be fine.

I've got some young madake that is really struggling right now, but it's much better than it was last year. I'm hopeful that it will harden up as it matures and adds more plant mass.
"The Way is in training" - Miyamoto Musashi
Thuja
Location info: 0
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

foxd wrote:BTW, I don't how widespread that Jan 15th temperature drop is.
We too usually get our coldest around the middle of January. It hasn't been all that cold here yet . Low tonight 1*F, above 0 forcasted. It could be a lot worse.
--Mike
bambootony

Post by bambootony »

[/quote]
Where are you, Tony, and how old is your Rubro? I've got rubro here that seems completely unaffected by this long stretch of cold (avg for the last week was 18°F, low of 8°F, high of 32°F). It's a little bit older though - maybe 5 or 6 years now, with a field division and complete move 2 years ago. I think once yours matures a little (assuming it's young) it'll be fine.

I've got some young madake that is really struggling right now, but it's much better than it was last year. I'm hopeful that it will harden up as it matures and adds more plant mass.[/quote]

Hello Matt,
Yes the rubro and bissetii are first year.
I'm just north of St louis.
I was really hope-ing that we would have a mild winter.
I will post photos in a week to see how much damage they have recieved.
I'm thinking a wind break privacy fence would have been a good idea.
I'm bummed out! As are most that have the more tropical Bamboo down south.
I really feel bad for them too as it will be a BIG set-back for everyone.
Just too much going on in 2009 to get everything I wanted done...
2010 will have to be a better year than 2009.
From Bamboo Tony
40 miles N.E of st louis
Matt in TN
Location info: 82

Post by Matt in TN »

bambootony wrote: 2010 will have to be a better year than 2009.
I keep hearing that - I hope so!
"The Way is in training" - Miyamoto Musashi
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

How cold did it get to leaf burn your rubromarginata?

If it ever gets below 0F, I might have to cover mine up so it doesn't get set back. Mine is also a new division purchased in May of 09. Based on pictures I've seen of this species, it puts on lots of new growth the second year, probably better than any other phyllostachys and produces more culms faster than it upsizes. This might be the tallest bamboo that can be grown here without worrying about setbacks.
foxd

Post by foxd »

Today is the 15th and the temperature at the moment is 40°F. I checked the outside bamboos yesterday evening since I got home before dark. No real unpleasant surprises and a couple of pleasant ones.

The Phyllostachys aurea 'Koi' looked unphased by the cold. This was real surprising since it is in an exposed area.

One Moso also had a surprising number of undamaged leaves. I'm going to keep a close eye on this one.

Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Harbin' had a number of crispied leaves.

The only ones that looked top killed were:
Bambusa ventricosa "Buddha's Belly"
Pleioblastus kongosanensis 'Aureostriatus'

The ones that had a lot of leaf damage were:
Phyllostachys aurea
Phyllostachys aurea 'Holochrysa'
Phyllostachys edulis
Pleioblastus ? 'Variegated'
Pleioblastus chino 'Murakamianus'
Pleioblastus pygmaeus
Pleioblastus viridistriatus
Pleioblastus viridistriatus 'Chrysophyllus'
Semiarundinaria yashadake 'Kimmei'

Among the ones having no little to no noticeable leaf damage were:
Arundinaria gigantea
Fargesia dracocephala 'rufa'
Indocalamus tessellatus
Phyllostachys atrovaginata
Phyllostachys aurea 'Koi' :?
Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Spectabilis'
Phyllostachys aureosulcata "Yellow Groove Bamboo"
Phyllostachys parvifolia
Pseudosasa japonica
Pseudosasa japonica 'Tsutsumiana'
Shibataea kumasaca

I'm not sure how to classify Sasa veitchii since the whole point of it is to get leaf damage during the Winter. And the Fargesia nitida always takes on a "on Death's Door" appearance during cold parts of the Winter only to uncurl its leaves when it warms up and look like nothing happened.

I probably missed some, but I think I pretty much covered the best and the worst. And I hope this is the worst of the Winter, but it probably isn't.

Basement temperatures stayed above 54°F during the cold spell and may reach 60°F today. Bodes well for the plants down there.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.