Found a friend

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

Case
Location info: 0

Found a friend

Post by Case »

I moved my unplanted B. Lako inside about a week ago and was cleaning up the dead leaves and found this little guy hanging out. Of course my good camera was dead so I have some crappy cell phone picks. My guess is he won't be going to far so I snag a few good ones later.

David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Re: Found a friend

Post by David »

An anole lizard. I love those little guys. I've tried to introduce them to my greenhouse but they keep disappearing. It may just be too cold here, but some parts of Tennesse do support them according to an anole map I saw last year. (Who knew there were such maps! I just love the internet!)
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

The day I see any sort of lizard in my yard will be a very happy day for me. :hello1: I've been trying to attract lizards and snakes for years! I wrote to the Missouri Conservation Department several years ago asking what I can do to attract snakes to my yard. Their reply was that I was the first request they ever got (as far as they could remember) on how to *attract* snakes -- everybody wants to find out how to get rid of them. 8)

Box turtles and toads are about all I can do (so far).
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Alan, we have a healthy crop of lizards and skinks here so next time you visit I suspect we can capture a few. I don't recall what species they are but as youngsters they have an iridescent blue tail - those that still have tails, my cats capture most of them.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

That would be a Five-lined Skink - Eumeces fasciatus

"Average total length is 6.5 inches. Often called the "blue-tailed" skink, this is Missouri's most common skink. It has five light lines from the head to the base of the tail. Adult females have brighter stripes than adult males.

During the breeding season in late spring, males have bright orange on their heads. Hatchlings and those under a year of age have brilliant cobalt-blue tails. Five-lined skinks live in forests statewide, except for the northwest corner."

http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/herpetol/molizard/
Case

Post by Case »

I have found quite a few of these guys through the years. I guess they just hang out? Don't mind them atoll :D