Heavy Rains in Mobile (Picture Heavy)

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

RE: Heavy Rains in Mobile (Picture Heavy)

Post by Roy »

We had a 50 to 60 percent chance of rain this morning, with a front coming through. But all we got was a very light sprinkle and now I see the front has passed through and the rain is south of us now. And today we start watering of lawns only by hand sprinkling once a week after 6 p.m. A lot of St. Augustine grass yards are going to die.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
Mike McG
Location info: 71

Re: RE: Heavy Rains in Mobile (Picture Heavy)

Post by Mike McG »

Roy wrote:... A lot of St. Augustine grass yards are going to die.
As a side comment, where we are in central TX we usually get less than 40 inches of rain a year. We frequently get high summer temperatures, low humidity, and high constant winds. Our "lawn" area is comprised mainly of Bahia/Bermuda and St Augustine, and the pastures are Bahia/Bermuda. There are also some native grasses, weeds, cactus, and wild flowers that grow in it. We never water the "lawn" and only rarely cut it.

The St Augustine grows predominately in the shade and is cut less often (sometimes never in a year) than the Bahia/Bermuda which is predominately in the sun. Both grasses usually go to seed without being cut. The interesting thing is that the St Augustine stays green most of the time without watering. The top part does get some frost damage during the coldest part of the winter. The problem with St Augustine is that people want to grow it in the sun and they constantly water it so it does not put down deep roots. The only time our St Augustine dies in the shade is when it gets too wet.

Mike near Brenham TX
rickw
Location info: 84
Location: Theodore, AL, just south of I-10 and 1 mile from Mobile Bay, barely 8b

RE: Heavy Rains in Mobile (Picture Heavy)

Post by rickw »

When I lived in FL, you had to water the heck out St. Augustine to get that plush lawn. I think they grow different varieties than the standard SA that you grow in TX. I remember Floratam for the sunny areas and Floratine for the shady spots. Most of our lawns are Centipede in south AL, it takes sun better than SA and requires less water but still needs supplemental water to get a plush lawn.

I hate mowing Bahia, you have to run over those seed heads twice to get a good cut.