Heavy Rains in Mobile (Picture Heavy)

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

rickw
Location info: 84
Location: Theodore, AL, just south of I-10 and 1 mile from Mobile Bay, barely 8b

Heavy Rains in Mobile (Picture Heavy)

Post by rickw »

Thought I would post some pics showing the results from the rains last night. We had about 6"+ over the last 3 days but last night it really rained. It started about 10pm, we took a break in weather watching to deliver a foal downstairs around 11:45pm, then it really hit hard about midnight; hail came about 4am and it started slacking off about 5:30am. It was estimated at over 10" of rainfall.

These were taken from upstairs, the fence normally is on dry land.

The shelter is not supposed to be in the pond.

This is the alley I drive on to feed the horses, it's about 2' deep so had to park the golf cart today.

Even the herons were looking for a dry spot to rest.

This is not a boat ramp, it's the end of the drive and a trail I use to feed horses.

This shows how much the water had dropped (8"-10") by the time I took pictures.
Last edited by rickw on Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bambookid524
Location info: 0

RE: Heavy Rains in Mobile (Picture Heavy)

Post by bambookid524 »

Man! You can send some of that my way! The lake I live on here is getting veryyyyy low and we need all the rain we can get!

but i can't complain about the last few days. We've gotten a good bit here as well!
rickw
Location: Theodore, AL, just south of I-10 and 1 mile from Mobile Bay, barely 8b

Post by rickw »

Stand by, if you get any of this last front, it'll fill up that lake in no time. The water had recided enough this afternoon that I was able to use the golf cart to feed but it is still high and the ditches are still full. Now I get to wear rubber boots for the next few days and tromp through the mud.
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

how big is the pond usually?
bambookid524

Re: RE: Heavy Rains in Mobile (Picture Heavy)

Post by bambookid524 »

rickw wrote:Stand by, if you get any of this last front, it'll fill up that lake in no time. The water had recided enough this afternoon that I was able to use the golf cart to feed but it is still high and the ditches are still full. Now I get to wear rubber boots for the next few days and tromp through the mud.
Yeah. It's slowly beginning to come back up. A lot of the docks were out of the water, as well as boat ramps. The dock in my subdivision had to keep getting pushed out further and further. In 2007 it was a record 20 feet below full, and last year it was somwhere around 13 or so feet below full. It need a TON of water considering it is about 38,000 Acres, w/ 692 miles of shoreline...
rickw

Post by rickw »

Iowaboo wrote:how big is the pond usually?
The pond is normally 4.5 acres but was covering about 8 acres. It's back to normal now. There was considerable flooding down here with streams and creeks flowing over roads, now it's the rivers flowing over a couple of roads. The nice part about living close to the bay and gulf is that the water has somewhere to go and gets down pretty fast.
BamaBamboo

Post by BamaBamboo »

WOW....Lots of Rain down there....We got plenty in north Alabama as well.....but everytime I look ed at the radar to check the weather, Mobile had all the Red showing up.....yeah, yall got hit good!!!!!!.....I guess we got 4" maybe.......Hope you had a Kayak!!!!.....I hope to hit the Delta in My kayak soon!!....good times!!!
Bamboo....The Gift of the Gods!!!!!
rickw

Post by rickw »

We get a little more tomorrow, hopefully the worst will miss us. Funny thing, the weatherman just said we only have 1" more than the average for this time of year. If you hurry on down, you can get a wild ride on that kayak; all the rivers are above flood stage.
rickw

Post by rickw »

Rain, Rain, Go Away....
More rain today, this is the last of 3 squall lines; good news is, we get 2 days of no rain before we get it again on Sunday. Maybe it will drown the mole crickets.
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Post by Roy »

rickw wrote:Rain, Rain, Go Away....
[img]rain4209.jpg[/img]
More rain today, this is the last of 3 squall lines; good news is, we get 2 days of no rain before we get it again on Sunday. Maybe it will drown the mole crickets.
Push the rain further south. We need it. We start tomorrow with the toughest water restrictions I've ever seen in my 34 years here in Tampa, Fl, USA
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
rickw

Post by rickw »

Roy wrote:Push the rain further south. We need it. We start tomorrow with the toughest water restrictions I've ever seen in my 34 years here in Tampa, Fl, USA
I guess I'd rather have mud than dought, although dry sounds pretty nice right now. Maybe we could pipe in our runoff. I lived down in St. Pete for a few years; in a couple of months you'll be getting the 3pm showers every afternoon.
Roy

Post by Roy »

rickw wrote:
Roy wrote:Push the rain further south. We need it. We start tomorrow with the toughest water restrictions I've ever seen in my 34 years here in Tampa, Fl, USA
I guess I'd rather have mud than dought, although dry sounds pretty nice right now. Maybe we could pipe in our runoff. I lived down in St. Pete for a few years; in a couple of months you'll be getting the 3pm showers every afternoon.
But the temps are going up into the mid 80's and pretty soon around 90 F, reservoir is empty, and the river is running dry, and April is a dry month.

Month....Precipitation
Jan.........2.27in.
Feb.........2.67in.
Mar.........2.84in.
Apr..........1.80in.
May.........2.85in.
Jun..........5.50in.
Jul...........6.49in.
Aug.........7.60in.
Sept.........6.54in.
Oct..........2.29in.
Nov..........1.62in.
Dec..........2.30in.
Roy Rogers
rickw

Post by rickw »

I thought Tampa got more rain than that, I guess the summer routine threw me off. This is our averages, it's about 60" per year.
Month Avg.
Jan 6.42 in.
Feb 5.77 in.
Mar 7.04 in.
Apr 4.20 in.
May 4.92 in.
Jun 4.32 in.
Jul 7.70 in.
Aug 5.97 in.
Sep 5.08 in.
Oct 3.52 in.
Nov 4.83 in.
Dec 4.37 in.
Roy

Post by Roy »

rickw wrote:I thought Tampa got more rain than that, I guess the summer routine threw me off. This is our averages, it's about 60" per year.
Yea, the big rains in the Summertime make it look like we get a lot of rainfall. Leaving out June through Sept. and we would become a desert. But it's good for tropical bamboos; we get the heat, humidity, and rainfall all together.
Roy Rogers
mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

I hope our drought is coming to an end. We finished last year almost a foot below average (2008 totals). So far this year:

Code: Select all

Month           This year      Average
----------      -----------    ---------- 
January           0.31"          3.68"     
February          1.83"          2.98"
March             3.98"          3.36"
April                            3.60"
May                              5.15"
June                             5.35"
July                             3.18"
August                           3.83"
September                        4.33"