My new place

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

Flashburn
Location info: 0

My new place

Post by Flashburn »

The new place is now ours and It had some old funky spring water hooked up.

I thought Ok np there is a well already to go just needs a pump installed. The well was put in so they could get a loan, it was never used.

So I go on line and buy a well pump. 115v 1/2 hp I am ready to rock and roll!

Not, turns out a 115v pump requires that it be next to the house or you will pay a gazzilon dollars on huge gauge wire. I figured this out after installing the pump and removing it 3 times. Man my arms about fell off :lol:

Oh and my comments about well pumps having to be large to require lots of power, I was wrong. the 115 1/2 hp which is as small as they make them takes up to 4000 watts to start.

when I hooked up my genny it killed the motor instantly.

The good news is I have a 230v pump installed :D total savings so far doing it myself is 1200.00 to the top of the well head. All said and done I will have saved around 3,000.00.
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

RE: My new place

Post by ghmerrill »

Well, Congratulations!

the well will be the one thing you will be VERY thankfull for! I cannot express how much frustration you can expirence from a well that goes dry, a pump that has issues, or the other MYRIAD of things that can go wrong....

anyway, having a good well, up and running, will allow you grow some great boo!

PICS! PICS! we want PICS!

:lol:
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

RE: My new place

Post by boonut »

I put in two wells on my farm about 3 - 4 years ago. They are down about 60 feet, but with our water table down only around 20 feet, I only need an above ground gas powered pump. I put in 2" pipe. It has a check valve at ground level. I use a 5 hp pump. It works ok, but you can taste a little salt in the water. It is very clean. One well has LOTS of water... and the other about half the pressure. I have used it to flood, but didn't really notice a difference in the bamboo. I need to get the water checked to make sure it is safe for the plants.

Because I also have 18 inch irrigation pipes with 12" stand pipes at 4 locations on the farm, I don't have to use the wells very often. In the past two years, I haven't had to use either one with the large amount of rain.

Once I get the water tested, I may use it for drinking with some kind of filter.

I am always interested in what others are doing with wells. I don't know that much about them yet. I also need to find a good place for filtering systems designed just for wells.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
Flashburn
Location info: 0

Re: RE: My new place

Post by Flashburn »

ghmerrill wrote:Well, Congratulations!

the well will be the one thing you will be VERY thankfull for! I cannot express how much frustration you can expirence from a well that goes dry, a pump that has issues, or the other MYRIAD of things that can go wrong....

MYRIAD of things that can go wrong lol I understand that one.

my 2 hour job took me 15 hours and 5 days. parts are in town and I aint!

One thing that helped me a lot is knowing how hard others work just to live all over this planet. I watched a video of a man hand digging a well over 50 feet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zb7N1cm31s

Makes my job look like a luncheon.

I will ahve some pics when I find my camera. Its in a box SOMEWHERE

:lol: