my bamboo is getting a new home

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

Flashburn
Location info: 0

my bamboo is getting a new home

Post by Flashburn »

We finally found something we could afford thats out in the country.

3 acres with no one in sight.

can't wait to get old and watch the bamboo grow.

As far as growing bamboo, the conditions of the new place is less sun. But we sill have full sun available in the plenty , just not all day long sun.
And tons and tons of shade.

Its in the Oregon coastal range at an elevation of 400 ft. I am thinking mild frosts.

Time to get rid of my running bamboo except my P nigra, and maybe some running timber would be nice. I can always make a root hammer blade.

I am going to go for the biggest stuff that will live here with 10f lows.
I am thinking Phyllostachys bambusoides.

can't wait. to bad the time to plant has passed.
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

RE: my bamboo is getting a new home

Post by ghmerrill »

You should be able to plant with no problems now, in fact, given that the rains will be starting here soon, it actually is an ideal time to get your plants in the ground. the days are warm enought still that the planst can start getting a hold in the ground before the cold weather hits. Stake them so you dont get them uprooting due to wet soil and wind, and you should be golden!

where are you moving to?

I have a friend who lives in Coquille, a ways south of you for sure, but his boos do phenominal with that coastal influence. His timbers dont size up nearly as big as ours do in the valley, but he never has to water......
Flashburn

Post by Flashburn »

Going to a place called burntwoods. Can't call it a town
:lol:

what? timbers dont get as big? Sounds like a challenge to me. I don't know if I can take all this big boo envoy. I mean heck about twice a week them Florida boys are posting pics of 4 inch boo. That can give a guy a complex. :oops:
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

I hear you on boo envy!!! the longest any of mine have been in the ground is 4 years, since we moved here.... I figure in about 10 years, the place should look pretty much the way I want it!

on the sizing of the timbers- if you are in an area that gets much of the coast cooling, the timber bamboos just dont grow as big as fast. if you take a look at Gib Coopers place in gold beach, he as been around practically since bamboos had scales ( :wink: ) and if he were in a warmer area, would probalby have some HUGE timber types, but does not. I guess the trade off is that alot of the mountain clumpers do much better.

if you are in an area closer to to the valleys, and do get the summer heat, you should not have any problems growing big boo. for those partial shaded areas, look to the P. nigra and its varieties, and in the full sun you can put the things like P. bambusoides and its varieties, vivax, etc. the full shade areas you can do many of the clumpers.
Flashburn

Post by Flashburn »

Its far enough from the coast to get plenty warm. So thats all good.

Its like rain forest. here is a pic of the backyard.

I can't wait, but I have too. till the first of nov. to move in.