Hurricane Ike

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

RE: Hurricane Ike

Post by foxd »

Okay, that was bad. :shock:
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

No word from Outlaw yet?
MarCat
mantis
Location info: 22

Re: RE: Hurricane Ike

Post by mantis »

marcat wrote:No word from Outlaw yet?
MarCat
Nothing. I have tried both home line and cell, but no answer on either. My home line is now out of commission, so we are getting worse. We also lost power 6 times today
Last edited by mantis on Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marcat

Post by marcat »

I figured his area would get hit hard. Hope he didn't suffer too much damage. Mantis how did your boo's do? Heck looking at your and Ach... pictures I definately feel for you guy's. Only damage I got was slight wind and under watered pots. Trop winds and no rain are not good for boo's.
Hope things get back to normal for everyone quick.
MarCat
mantis

Post by mantis »

marcat wrote:Mantis how did your boo's do?
I didn't lose any bamboo out right. I did lose quite a few tips on this years shoots. I spent yesterday afternoon straightening and staking the ones that were leaning (B. lako, B. nana, Mei-nung, and D. minor 'Amoenus'). I had moved all of my potted plants into the garage on Thursday, so those are all happy.

After spending yesterday cleaning up the yard you'd be hard pressed to guess that a hurricane went through only a few days ago. I was very lucky.
marcat

Post by marcat »

Heard from Outlaw he's ok some damage and no power just got his phone working.
MarCat
mantis

Post by mantis »

I got a short e-mail from him last night which basically said the same thing. If he still needs help I plan on heading down this weekend.
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

My power went out Sunday night around 9:30 - came back on this morning after a bit more than 36 hours. Missed all of the 2nd half of the Steelers/Browns game (OK, so I didn't miss much). To add insult to injury, we got ZERO rain out of it.

Hope you people down south are happy we sent crews to help you out!

Glad to hear everybody is alright.
Rick
Bamboo Outlaw
Location info: 0
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

Mantis, Sid and Marcat came out today and helped me catch up on work around the farm. It was a great morale booster. I am looking forward to more fall weather when we can get together and enjoy the bamboo and a good cookout. The wife volunteered to be head chef. Except for a tree on the fence out back, I am all cleaned up. Many folks in my area will be without power for weeks yet. I am thankful for being spared any serious damage, just lots of clean-up.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by bambooweb »

Got an e-mail from Bob Clune in Houston today it sounds like his house and bamboo came through fine but he did lose some trees.

Bill
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

I haven't heard from Bob in a while. Glad he is doing well. He does quite a bit of traveling... it would be nice to hear from him.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
mantis

Post by mantis »

Bamboo Outlaw wrote:Mantis, Sid and Marcat came out today and helped me catch up on work around the farm. It was a great morale booster. I am looking forward to more fall weather when we can get together and enjoy the bamboo and a good cookout. The wife volunteered to be head chef.
I am freaking exhausted today...

Friday I left the house at 6am to go help clean up the bamboo at Mercer Arboretum... what a disaster. They got hit HARD! They won't reopen to the public for at least a month. I wish I took some pictures, but I was so shocked that I totally forgot about the camera. I only had one day to help, so I worked myself almost to death. Got quite a bit done though. I replanted their Parker Giant, Betung Hitam, G. Maxima (all were completely out of the ground). I also stood up another 5 bamboos that were leaning, and cut a good 200 culms down that were broken, and that was just in the Richard Waldron Memorial Garden. I didn't even get to the rest of the park. It would probably take me over a week with heavy equipment just to get all the bamboo back in order. Complete destruction.

Saturday I headed down to help Outlaw at his place (as he already said). I was moving a lot slower than typical, since I was still recovering from Friday. We got quite a bit done despite Sid doing his best to hamper any progress.

Sunday I stayed home and had to clean up my yard... I restaked 6 Mediterranean Cypress (Italian Cypress, whatever you want to call them), 4 Queen palms, and a couple more bamboos that were all leaning over. I had staked them right after the storm, but since the ground was so wet the stakes didn't stay straight, and needed to be redone. I then had to mow and get my yard back in order before the HOA sent me a nasty letter (I hadn't mowed in 3 weeks).

Last major hurricane to hit Houston was 25 years ago. I sure hope the next one doesn't hit for another 25 years.

Outlaw, let us know when you want to have a cookout, and I'll bring the whole family down... that way at least Sid would have a partner in crime as my 2.5 year old is even more of a handful than Sid is. :shock:
marcat

Post by marcat »

Outlaw you better lick up all the succulents....
MarCat
marcat

Post by marcat »

Oops that should have been "lock up"
MarCat
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

If Outlaw's wife is having a cookout, we better all head that way... those burgers are fantastic!!! Maybe we can all help lick up... I mean help lock up his succulents. :lol: :lol:
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com