End of summer

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

bepah
Location info: 36
Location: Brentwood CA The rumor is that we are 9b...I think 10a

End of summer

Post by bepah »

All,

Labor day is normally considered the end of summer....kids back to school, vacations over, etc.

My plants, however, still have about 2 months of active growing to do, daylight savings isn't over for at least that long.

Are you all shutting down as well? Is it the end of summer for you?
John Case
Rookie Gardener
Veteran Drinker
'Circular logic works because circular logic works!'
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: End of summer

Post by Roy »

bepah wrote:All,

Labor day is normally considered the end of summer....kids back to school, vacations over, etc.

My plants, however, still have about 2 months of active growing to do, daylight savings isn't over for at least that long.

Are you all shutting down as well? Is it the end of summer for you?
Well, here in Florida, it's about mid-October before things really start acting like Fall has arrived. About mid-Sept. is when the raining season comes to an end. Of course, excitement continues as the hurricane season extends until the first of December.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
mantis
Location info: 22

RE: End of summer

Post by mantis »

It was 98* here today. Summer is still in full swing.
needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

My psychological summer is over next week, I start a full-time job and will have little time off, I'm pretty spoiled after working < 1/2 time since 2003 so it sure feels like summer is over. Weather wise we have a good 8 weeks or so of growing season left.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
ocimum_nate
Location: American Fork, Utah High Desert, elevation 4566 feet, zone 5 or 6 depending on which source.

Post by ocimum_nate »

It seems alot like the end of summer to me. At the nursery we are putting out fall mums and asters we also kicked off the fall tree sale on Thursday. and the forecast for the labor day weekend here is as follows
"Plenty of weather changes will be occuring over the Labor Day weekend.FIRST:record or near record heat on Saturday as temps push to near 100,the clouds move in and the Southerly winds accelerate.SECOND:cold front meets monsoonal moisture on Sunday to produce some areas of locally heavy rain.THIRD:the cold air arrives early on Monday so it will be cloudy with persistent rain and SNOW in the mountains above 8000ft.Cooler than normal temps and clearing skies will then prevail for the balance of the week"
Tuesday we are going to have a low of 47 F so things will be on the cool side with a high of 64 F on Monday it is going to seem alot like fall.
Mike McG
Location info: 71

End of summer

Post by Mike McG »

Yeah, I think I can actually see a time ahead where I can work outside for more than just a few hours without having to drink a gallon of water. Well, actually more like half a gallon since I usually finish a 2-liter bottle of water while I am outside.

Mike McG near Brenham TX
Roy

Re: RE: End of summer

Post by Roy »

ocimum_nate wrote:It seems alot like the end of summer to me. At the nursery we are putting out fall mums and asters we also kicked off the fall tree sale on Thursday. and the forecast for the labor day weekend here is as follows
"Plenty of weather changes will be occuring over the Labor Day weekend.FIRST:record or near record heat on Saturday as temps push to near 100,the clouds move in and the Southerly winds accelerate.SECOND:cold front meets monsoonal moisture on Sunday to produce some areas of locally heavy rain.THIRD:the cold air arrives early on Monday so it will be cloudy with persistent rain and SNOW in the mountains above 8000ft.Cooler than normal temps and clearing skies will then prevail for the balance of the week"
Tuesday we are going to have a low of 47 F so things will be on the cool side with a high of 64 F on Monday it is going to seem alot like fall.
Sounds like a slightly below normal Winter temps day on the SunCoast in Florida.
Roy Rogers
bepah
Location info: 36
Location: Brentwood CA The rumor is that we are 9b...I think 10a

Post by bepah »

Since I stareted this thread I should share what's happening here.

The recent heat wave ended yesterday (my weather station showed 106 yesterday, 107 the day before). we should be in the low 90s today and the mid 80's Sun/Mon.

Shade from the house is beginning to cover the Koi pond through most of the morning and early afternoon, as the sun's arc moves further to the south every day.

While we have growing conditions through the end of October, usuallly, I feel pressed to get my final plantings in the ground today. Since I plant most sub-tropicals and have most of the yard left to gto, my time is limited.

The chill of the morning today was pronounced, but it heated quickly once the sun hit the pavement

I think fall will advance quickly this year. The Canada geese are moving south, the paperwasps are heading underground, and the warmth of the day leaves quickly once the sun sets.
John Case
Rookie Gardener
Veteran Drinker
'Circular logic works because circular logic works!'
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

We have summer from April through October... then a mild fall through December... then a mild winter from January through February. Spring happens in March.

I miss the changing seasons from time to time and the cool mornings. Don't know that I miss the snow.

The hard thing for bamboo down here is the high humidity from April through October, then the dry climate because of the north winds. It's like the winds play tug-o-war in November through February... coming from the North some days and the South other days... both pretty fierce.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
mr.mike

Post by mr.mike »

As Roy said... it's still summer here for a while. I've got lots of new shoots coming up as of now. B. chungii, B. chungii 'Barbelatta, B. tuoldoides, and B. malingensis are into their second go round of shooting at this time & that's after they had already put up over 15 shoots each this spring. Not nearly as many this time (maybe 5 or 6 each) but they are pushing for the sky! : :shock:

Not a lot of rain out of "Gustav" so far but I'll take all I can get this late in the Summer especially since we're heading into the dry season.

Mike
Roy

Post by Roy »

mr.mike wrote:As Roy said... it's still summer here for a while. I've got lots of new shoots coming up as of now. B. chungii, B. chungii 'Barbelatta, B. tuoldoides, and B. malingensis are into their second go round of shooting at this time & that's after they had already put up over 15 shoots each this spring. Not nearly as many this time (maybe 5 or 6 each) but they are pushing for the sky! : :shock:

Not a lot of rain out of "Gustav" so far but I'll take all I can get this late in the Summer especially since we're heading into the dry season.

Mike
Mike,

I measured a 1/2 inch of rain for yesterday. My B. oldhamii new shoots still have a long way to go (grow). I have them in the range of a few inches to about 30 feet tall. With the additional rainfall this year, I seem to have more oldhamii shoots coming up, but the extra number of shoots has slowed down the overall growth speed of all my shoots.
Roy Rogers
millerlightman02
Location info: 46

Post by millerlightman02 »

well we are going to the WEBN fireworks in Cincinnati tonight so i guess it means the end of summer. SO BRING ON THE SNOW!!! :lol:
Michael Geis
wiener dogs and bamboo
what else is there?
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

Roy wrote:
Mike,

I measured a 1/2 inch of rain for yesterday. My B. oldhamii new shoots still have a long way to go (grow). I have them in the range of a few inches to about 30 feet tall. With the additional rainfall this year, I seem to have more oldhamii shoots coming up, but the extra number of shoots has slowed down the overall growth speed of all my shoots.
I have a bunch of Oldhamii shoots also. My only problem is with all the rain we have had, they take off, but then the water shuts off at the end of September and the really big ones get cracks... even with weekly watering. I can't compete with what mother nature dumped on us. This same thing happened last year with far more rain than we are supposed to get. I think the farm got over a foot of rain last month. Most of the ones with cracks got broken off with hurricane Dolly. Not a good sight.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
mr.mike

Post by mr.mike »

Roy,

I have quite a few oldhamii shoots in two separate clumps also that range from 6" to 25'+. I've also had quite a few abort (5-6) on the clump that's in lots of shade, filtered light at best. I've watered the crap out of them all this summer but the shady clump just doesn't keep up with the clump in the sun.

OHH CRAP, there goes a B. chungii 'Barbelatta' shoot from the wind. :cry: I'm getting gusts well over 30 mph this afternoon. They may be even higher. The chungii is right in front of my computer room and I saw it fall as a big gust came busting through. (15 footer broke about 5' from the ground). Well, that's the first one so far. We'll see how many more go before Gustav is outta here.

Then we'll start to sweat out 'Hanna'.

Mike
Roy

Post by Roy »

mr.mike wrote:Roy,

I have quite a few oldhamii shoots in two separate clumps also that range from 6" to 25'+. I've also had quite a few abort (5-6) on the clump that's in lots of shade, filtered light at best. I've watered the crap out of them all this summer but the shady clump just doesn't keep up with the clump in the sun.

OHH CRAP, there goes a B. chungii 'Barbelatta' shoot from the wind. :cry: I'm getting gusts well over 30 mph this afternoon. They may be even higher. The chungii is right in front of my computer room and I saw it fall as a big gust came busting through. (15 footer broke about 5' from the ground). Well, that's the first one so far. We'll see how many more go before Gustav is outta here.

Then we'll start to sweat out 'Hanna'.

Mike
Mike,

I couldn't stand staying in the house any longer, so I went out (against my wife's judgment--which was better than mine in this case) to start picking up downed limbs and branches. I spent about an hour outside, picking up limbs, but they keep coming down and I figured I'd better get back inside. Even a one limb falling 50 feet can do a lot of structural damage on the body.

The wind gust seem to have picked up higher here also. And the weather forecasters were saying we wouldn't get any effects from this hurricane. Ha!

I've also lost a few new culms already. Most of my damage to my bamboo is coming from falling limbs.
Roy Rogers