Looking at buying land

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

Bamboo Outlaw
Location info: 0
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

RE: Looking at buying land

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

Great. I always get a kick out of that. I can drink your good beer and supervise :lol:
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
mantis
Location info: 22

Re: RE: Looking at buying land

Post by mantis »

Bamboo Outlaw wrote:Great. I always get a kick out of that. I can drink your good beer and supervise :lol:
Beer store called, and the two kegs I ordered were just delivered. I'll be stopping on the way home from work to pick them up. Hopefully we won't run out this time. :occasion5:

I invited Scott over too. He wants a start of D. minor 'Amoenus', so we are going to dig up the one on the north side of my house and chop it up. That should give me a few good starts for the land.
mantis

Re: RE: Looking at buying land

Post by mantis »

mantis wrote:
But first things first... I need to get electricity to the well, and get irrigation going. Without that, and seeing that this drought has shown no signs of breaking, anything I plant out there is as good as dead. :(
It only took me 1.5 years, but I now have electricity. 8) I met with a guy to fix the well last week, but he needed to wait until the power was finished before he could start working. If all goes smoothly I'll have running water within a week.

My property is on the left side of the picture, my neighbor's house is on the right. My neighbor, a friend, and I took down the big tree that you see the stump in the pics (neighbor has a backhoe that he's going to use to take out the stump). We then dug, built, and installed all the poles... first and last poles had to be dug 5' down, intermediate poles are 4' down. I had an electrician to all the wiring and run the wire back to the well. It was a full weekend of work.
Got the drop from the neighbor's pole.
Got the drop from the neighbor's pole.
The run back to the well.
The run back to the well.
Lots-o-Zeros on the meter.
Lots-o-Zeros on the meter.
philippe smets

Re: Looking at buying land

Post by philippe smets »

congratulations mantis, I m sure you were an happy man at the end of that weekend
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

Ok Mike now where is the disco ball and stobe lights. Got to give the Boo some thing to liven them up. What the hell just ' water', they are more spiritual than that.
MarCat
mantis

Post by mantis »

Well, we have also started raising chickens, so maybe they will keep the 'boo company.

We have some Plymouth Barred Rocks, Ameraucana, and Rhode Island Red. I guess it is time for me to learn how to compost their poo to make some good food for the 'boo. :mrgreen:
marcat

Post by marcat »

Keep them birds away from your boo exspeciallythe shoots or they will eat them. Chicky poo very hot definately compost before use.
MarCat
mantis

Post by mantis »

Well guy called me at noon, and told me he was all done. Existing pump was still good (took it out, and bench tested it to make sure). It is a 1.5hp, 25gpm pump, so it should be plenty strong to water my property. He also put in a 120 gal. tank. I should now be good to go.

Let the planting begin!!! 8)

DSC_0044.JPG
DSC_0046.JPG
DSC_0047.JPG
Arachnotron

Post by Arachnotron »

mantis wrote: Let the planting begin!!! 8)
Have you made plans for the house yet?

Bamboo before the house, right? :wink:
mantis

Post by mantis »

Arachnotron wrote: Have you made plans for the house yet?

Bamboo before the house, right? :wink:
Bamboo is cheaper than a house. :mrgreen:
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Will you have to drain the tank in winter to avoid freezing?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
mantis

Post by mantis »

needmore wrote:Will you have to drain the tank in winter to avoid freezing?
I asked that same question to the well service company, and they said I shouldn't have to do anything to protect it in the winter. If anything I'll wrap the pipe between the control box and the tank. From the control box to the well it back drains into the well, so there won't be any sitting water in that. The tank should be big enough that it won't freeze even if we do get below freezing during the nights. I'm planning on building a pump house around the tank, so that will give it some additional protection from the cold as well. I have a ceramic heater that has an anti-freeze setting on it that I could put in the pump house if we have another record setting winter, but I don't want to think about that.
Jerry Hamilton

Post by Jerry Hamilton »

I put a light bulb in the well house and it has always done just fine.
Redneck Bamboo Plantation
Sheridan, Arkansas
mantis

Post by mantis »

Just bought a middle buster/sub-soiler for my tractor to start trenching for irrigation pipe. :)
http://www.kingkutter.com/XBProducts.as ... ddleBuster
marcat

Post by marcat »

Mike Q#1 what type of soil do you have Q#2 how well does it dig a trench, how much mess or clean does it cut what ever.
MarCat