What a day...

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

mantis
Location info: 22

RE: What a day...

Post by mantis »

When can I start getting excited that my cuttings might make it?

B. emeiensis 'Flavidovirens':

B. textilis var. gracilis:
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: What a day...

Post by Roy »

mantis wrote:When can I start getting excited that my cuttings might make it?

B. emeiensis 'Flavidovirens':
[img].jpg[/img]

B. textilis var. gracilis:
[img].jpg[/img]
I don't know that I would be excited yet, but I would be happy :D that at least there is new growth on your cuttings.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

I figure that if there is new growth on top they are try to do roots too. The problem is that if the conditions change slightly during the early phase it kills them. They need alot of functionong roots to be able to deal with dryness or excess water ect.
Good start on them so keep your fingers crossed when the roots show at the pot hole then break out the keg.
MarCat
mantis

Post by mantis »

marcat wrote: Good start on them so keep your fingers crossed when the roots show at the pot hole then break out the keg.
MarCat
I should have used smaller pots, so I wouldn't have to wait so long to have a beer. :(
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

Congrats on the cuttings. Looks like they are doing well. What process did you use?
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
mantis

Post by mantis »

Process: cut down culms and leave them in Outlaw's driveway for a couple hours while watching marcat dig a big division of sunburst and load up his truck with tons of culms for cuttings. I then put the culms in the back of my wife's jeep and talked to Outlaw some more as marcat continued loading up his truck. Once all was loaded I headed home to do the cuttings.

Got home and filled a 5 gal bucket with water and some rooting hormone (.1% or something weak), and cut the culms into single node cuttings. Also removed most of the branches from the nodes leaving only one or two branches. After they were cut I threw them in the bucket.

I then potted up a bunch of seeds. When I was done potting the seeds I planted the cuttings into 3 gal nursery pots with 3 cuttings/pot (they were in the rooting hormone for around 30 minutes).

When they were all planted I took the bucket of rooting hormone and poured it on the potted cuttings.

I then put the cuttings in our front landscaping between a hedge and the front of our house (house faces east), so they get a bit of morning filtered sun, but are completely blocked from any afternoon sun. They are also right under a sprinkler head the goes off for 10 minutes every day at 6am.

By the time I got them in pots they were looking very sad, so I didn't think anything would come of them. Yesterday was the first time I even looked at them since doing the cuttings. I figured they would all be just little brown sticks, so I was pleasantly surprised to see the new growth.

CLIFF NOTES: I just did single culm cuttings with 3/pot. :)
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

Sounds good. Send pics and updates as you get them. That boo sure is pretty.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
Bamboo Outlaw
Location info: 0
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

You forgot the best part. I drank all the beer 8)
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Post by Roy »

Bamboo Outlaw wrote:You forgot the best part. I drank all the beer 8)
But with all the supervising and educating you were doing, I'm sure you were tired and needed all the :occasion5:
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

Hey you make it sound like MarCat did all the work. The way i felt the next morning I must have done my share of beer too. Besides Outlaw bought most of the beer, can't pass up a free beer against my constitution.
MarCat
mantis

Post by mantis »

So a 2 month update. I think the B. e. 'Flavidovirens' got baked in the month after month of 100*+ heat. They look dead, but I'll keep them watered and protected for another few months.

The B. tex. var. gracilis look great! There is one live plant in each of my 3 pots. 8)