The Weather

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

The Weather

Post by foxd »

Yesterday we had flash floods. It was rather spooky with the rain so heavy that nothing was visible out a window while standing in a darkened building with storm drain pipes from the roof clanking back and forth.

After the storm passed, trying to find a route home that wasn't flooded was interesting.

A bit of a jump, but many years ago there was this big storm drain construction project to keep a certain intersection from flooding. This was a major undertaking that took about a year. When it was done they said it would never flood again. There are pictures from yesterday of people swimming in the intersection. :shock:

This is shaping up to be an interesting weather year.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

RE: The Weather

Post by Roy »

The rainy season hasn't started in Tampa yet, but there has been some isolated slow moving rain cells each day for the past week, but not widespread rainfall. Yesterday was our day. 2.6 inches of rain at my house yesterday.

:wav: :wav: :wav:
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

WOW! we have wierd weather... hot, then cold, then hot, then cold.. never had to run a fire to heat the house this late in the year, for as far back as I can remember! looks like more rain today, too..... the boos would love it if we had the heat to go along with it, but I will pass on the flooding!
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1

Post by bambooweb »

The dry season has not started here. After yesterday's rain I am up to 16 inches of rain since September which is the yearly average.

I just wish it would warm up the High temps are around 60*F and the lows are around 40*. All of my shoots are just sitting there not growing and I still have some plants that have not sent up shoots. I just hope that it does not freeze and kill the shoots.

Bill
needmore
Location info: 0

Post by needmore »

That storm was something yesterday, 3.9 inches of rain in 30 hours here, but most of it came in about 40 minutes, my driveway is in nasty shape so I get to rake and shovel it back to passable. Lousy hot weather for the extended forecast, don't remember turning on the air conditioner so early for so many days in a row. At 1 PM its 87 and 74% humidity, I think this is Roy's weather, not mine. 90's for the 5 day forecast.

The late shooting bamboo have had perfect conditions recently but the early tall stuff is damaged a bit and shorter from the storm.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

This is from the airport closest to my house.

May 2007: Precip: Actual Month Total: 6.27 Average month total: 5.05

May 2008: Precip: Actual Month Total: 0.56 Average month total: 5.05

At my house I received .21" for May '08, and nothing yet in June. I didn't have the weather station last May, so I can't do a direct comparison.
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

I'm in my air-conditioned office looking at the house across the street that is getting its asphalt driveway installed - don't miss working outside on days like this. Hottest day of the year here outside of Pittsburgh - 85*f currently (my Penguins Avatar will remain for a few more days - I was one of the whiteout people, but you couldn't have seen me as the cameras don't angle up that high - congrats Redwings fans). 90s the next couple of days. The Fargesia's are starting to get upset.
Rick
foxd
Location info: 21

Re: The Weather

Post by foxd »

foxd wrote:A bit of a jump, but many years ago there was this big storm drain construction project to keep a certain intersection from flooding. This was a major undertaking that took about a year. When it was done they said it would never flood again. There are pictures from yesterday of people swimming in the intersection. :shock:
In the paper today there was an article asking why this happened after this $2.8 million dollar project to keep it from happening.
‘Big Dig’ fails to stop flooding
Flash flood left Kirkwood area knee-deep in water despite 2000 stormwater project
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
needmore

Post by needmore »

One of the worst floods in memory here this morning, no power, phone or water for 12 hours and still no water here 15 hours and counting. 4.9 inches in my gauge, makes 8.8 since Weds AM, just a few miles north >10 inches. Couple of bamboo well under water but look just fine again now.

Hard to see but there is a black 12-inch overflow outlet pipe just left of center in this photo, when I went down there this AM the water was covering the deck joists and was almost lifting the white bucket on the deck - about a 6 vertical feet depth increase despite the pipe screaming water out.

We have to drive across the dam so I moved both cars up to the road just in case it went as other in the area did today. The electric, water, and telephone lines all run through it so that is a serious event for me if it goes - I think it is called 'you have to move out'!

Took this photos a couple hours after it stopped raining and the pond had dropped more than a foot.

ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

Brad, Sorry to hear you guys are getting nailed! guess its good that the water levels are dropping, so your dam did not go. guess those boos holding the ground togeather really do help out!
GrowingHabit

Post by GrowingHabit »

Brad, I'm sorry about the troubles. I don't watch tv news, but I do cruise headlines online, and from that little glimpse, it seems bad in your area. I hope the worst is over for you all there.

But when bad weather isn't happening, your place looks like it must be a paradise.
needmore

Post by needmore »

Still no water yet for the past 40+ hours and counting but as long as the dam holds we are so steep that we don't flood anywhere. A neighbor at the bottom of the hill about 1/4 miles had 8 inches of mud and that is common in all of the low areas around here. Stores all sold out of bottled water and having to drive 15 miles to get some but we're better off than lots of other folks.

The late shooters are growing like mad, with the nearly 9 inches of rain and almost a week now of >30C plus high humidity, the early shooters are leafing out like gangbusters.
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1

Post by bambooweb »

Lets average the weather across the US and we all can have good weather. :lol:
I think the snow we had last night could cool down some of the hot temps in the east. Toady's high is forecasted to be 52*F. :?

Bill
needmore

Post by needmore »

Bill are your shoots pushing up through this prolonged cool spell? Hope fully this will end so that they can finish off before frost comes.

We had another 1.5 inches last night, that makes 10.5 in 6 days and the ground is so soaked the pond went back up about 3 feet. It's been great for my bamboo but lots of folks around here are really in bad shape, worst floods on record in some areas nearby.
svendrix
Location info: 25

USDA Zone 6B (possibly 7A/7B/8A depending on who you ask around here, so I am sticking with the most conservative estimate for now)

Elevation 700 feet
Constant winds (10-20 MPH)

Post by svendrix »

Wow, we also have a high of 51F today so far. Last night we had hurricane force winds, and I'm not kidding. I saw HUGE fir trees below my house bending into huge arcs. I thought for sure they were all going down, but luckily the winds subsided. Today we are only supposed to get 30-40 MPH winds... heh

Luckily all my boo in the ground and containers are still alive and kicking...

Bill and foxd, wow, hope things get back to normal quick for you guys...

---Sven