New book by Ted Meredith - The Complete Book of Garlic

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

svendrix
Location info: 25

USDA Zone 6B (possibly 7A/7B/8A depending on who you ask around here, so I am sticking with the most conservative estimate for now)

Elevation 700 feet
Constant winds (10-20 MPH)

New book by Ted Meredith - The Complete Book of Garlic

Post by svendrix »

I know a lot of us here have enjoyed Ted Meredith's "Bamboo for Gardens" book. I am throwing this out, as I know a few of us here are also garlic lovers and growers, and he has a new book coming out this August on the topic! I can't wait, as I am wanting to check out various species of garlic, and try growing it here.

Here is a link to the full info:
http://www.timberpress.com/books/isbn.c ... c/meredith

---Sven
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

RE: New book by Ted Meredith - The Complete Book of Garlic

Post by bambooweb »

I am on the waiting list for the Garlic Book. :D

Ted is also working on a Bamboo field guide but I have no idea when that will be out.

Bill
svendrix

USDA Zone 6B (possibly 7A/7B/8A depending on who you ask around here, so I am sticking with the most conservative estimate for now)

Elevation 700 feet

Post by svendrix »

Yep, since you were the one who originally got me excited about trying various types of garlic, I figured you might be! :)

I can't wait until July, that's when http://www.wegrowgarlic.com will have growing bulbs available of most of their varieties. I got on their email list after your garlic post last year! I think I want to try Asian Tempest, Music, Martin's Heirloom, and Pennsylvania Dutch, only because a couple years ago I found out that I am part Pennsylvanian Dutch on my father's side. They've also planted 19 new varieties for 2008 growing season too, so it might be kind of fun to see what they think of their new ones. There are descriptions on their site, but I'm waiting to see what they think after the 1st year.

---Sven
svendrix

Elevation 700 feet

Post by svendrix »

Bill, it looks like this might have come out a couple weeks back. Did you get your copy? Just curious what you think of it if you did. I really liked his Bamboo book, so I'm expecting to like this one as well!

Too bad my local library doesn't have this one yet, maybe I should request it to be added to their catalog of books... =D

---Sven
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1

Post by bambooweb »

I received the book last week and it is amazing. I did not know that I knew so little about garlic.

It contains a lot of information on the different varieties, history, flavors and cultivation but what interested me was the complex chemical reactions that go on when garlic is crushed or cooked.

Ted also included a quick guide in the back of the book to help select cultivars.

Bill
bambookid524
Location info: 0

Post by bambookid524 »

I talked to Ted recently about his books and he told me his New Bamboo Pocket Guide will be out in somewhere around a year. No date on it yet.

It is in the Timber Press Pocket Guide series.
foxd
Location info: 21

Re: New book by Ted Meredith - The Complete Book of Garlic

Post by foxd »

I just noticed that Timber Press Pocket Guide to Bamboos will be in stock at Amozon on August 31st!

Actually I ordered it a few days ago when I saw that it was out of stock, which confused me because I thought it hadn't been issued yet. :?

This order from Amazon has been kind of weird. One seller emailed me and asked if I was at Purdue and if so they could hand deliver the book. :shock:

Thinking about it, it has been a strange month. A month filled with people stuck on elevators because the doors failed to close, people wanting to mail packages of money to Nigeria and zombies on rollerskates.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

foxd wrote: This order from Amazon has been kind of weird. One seller emailed me and asked if I was at Purdue and if so they could hand deliver the book. :shock:

My bosses daughter just started her freshmen year at Purdue. I told him that she made a good decision in going to a Big-10 school, but she chose the wrong one.

Go Gophers! :mrgreen:
Mark_NoVA

Post by Mark_NoVA »

The bamboo handbook is out now--Timber Press is offering 30% off as an introductory offer. They also have a temperate tropicals book at 50% off now--order them together and it's enough for free shipping, too. Ordered both a couple of days ago--but the web page wouldn't work for both offers! Had to call to order.
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

foxd wrote:I just noticed that Timber Press Pocket Guide to Bamboos will be in stock at Amozon on August 31st!

Actually I ordered it a few days ago when I saw that it was out of stock, which confused me because I thought it hadn't been issued yet. :?

This order from Amazon has been kind of weird. One seller emailed me and asked if I was at Purdue and if so they could hand deliver the book. :shock:

Thinking about it, it has been a strange month. A month filled with people stuck on elevators because the doors failed to close, people wanting to mail packages of money to Nigeria and zombies on rollerskates.

didnt we tell you not to harvest mushrooms from horse pastures???
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

ghmerrill wrote:didnt we tell you not to harvest mushrooms from horse pastures???
I don't know if mushrooms were involved, but if so I wasn't the one harvesting them.

The package to Nigeria was something I overheard at the post office and felt a quote from the argument should be added to my sig. She really had her heart set on sending that money to Nigeria and couldn't understand why the postal employee was saying such bad things. I didn't stick around to find out how it played out, the temptation to get involved was too great.

Last friday someone was wandering around like they wanted to beat their head against a wall. He had just gotten back from "rescuing" someone "trapped" in an elevator. Apparently they got on the elevator and the doors failed to close. Thinking they were trapped, they called for help saying they were trapped on an elevator. The guy was "trapped" for over half an hour.

To be continued...
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

I cant belive anyone falls for the africa money scams.... but recently in the paper was an article on a guy who lost almost 5k to one, so I guess they are out there.

on the elevator story- are you saying the door to the elevator was OPEN, yet the people would not get out, because they thought they were stuck??? Hmmm..... perhaps we should start considering manditory Spay/Neuter based on a persons IQ.....
I do belive some people should not breed
Jerry Hamilton

Post by Jerry Hamilton »

Hmmm..... perhaps we should start considering manditory Spay/Neuter based on a persons IQ.....
Takes all kinds of folks for this old world, but I agree some should never breed. :twisted:
Redneck Bamboo Plantation
Sheridan, Arkansas
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Post by Roy »

ghmerrill wrote:I cant belive anyone falls for the africa money scams.... but recently in the paper was an article on a guy who lost almost 5k to one, so I guess they are out there.

on the elevator story- are you saying the door to the elevator was OPEN, yet the people would not get out, because they thought they were stuck??? Hmmm..... perhaps we should start considering manditory Spay/Neuter based on a persons IQ.....
I think so too. And we should start just under me and work down. I'm sure people with a higher IQ than I have will have a different starting point. :-)
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Maybe IQ is the wrong term..... lack of common sense would be better.... Like the story I just read in the newspaper about the Lady who is a bigwig for an SPCA chapter, whos dog died because she left it locked in the car in the sun for 4 hours.....