ABS at-large vote

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

rfgpitt
Location info: 24

RE: ABS at-large vote

Post by rfgpitt »

Tell the other candidates not to insult us by signing up and becoming active on bambooweb once they see how one of them got needmore votes. :wink:

Seriously though, where are the other people who have active rolls (in the ABS) and can share their knowledge :?:
Rick
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: ABS at-large vote

Post by Roy »

rfgpitt wrote:Tell the other candidates not to insult us by signing up and becoming active on bambooweb once they see how one of them got needmore votes. :wink:

Seriously though, where are the other people who have active rolls (in the ABS) and can share their knowledge :?:
Maybe I should rephrase it: "Silence of the BIG Culms"
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
Bamboo Outlaw
Location info: 0
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

Roy, this was discussed even back in the IBG days.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
Roy

Post by Roy »

Bamboo Outlaw wrote:Roy, this was discussed even back in the IBG days.
Yea. Been going on for quite some times now. There must be something in the ABS Black Book By-Laws that says leadership is not to talk or discuss bamboo with lower ranking, run-of-the-mill, dues paying members.
Roy Rogers
mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

Roy wrote: Yea. Been going on for quite some times now. There must be something in the ABS Black Book By-Laws that says leadership is not to talk or discuss bamboo with lower ranking, run-of-the-mill, dues paying members.
Roy, I am extremely new to boo, so I don't want to rock the boat, but in 3 months I might change my tune...
Roy

Post by Roy »

mantis wrote:
Roy wrote: Yea. Been going on for quite some times now. There must be something in the ABS Black Book By-Laws that says leadership is not to talk or discuss bamboo with lower ranking, run-of-the-mill, dues paying members.
Roy, I am extremely new to boo, so I don't want to rock the boat, but in 3 months I might change my tune...
No rush. You can do a Rip Van Winkle and wake up 20 years from now and nothing will have changed.
Roy Rogers
needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Roy wrote: No rush. You can do a Rip Van Winkle and wake up 20 years from now and nothing will have changed.
I know you've been waiting for years but don't give up hope just yet...perhaps a new opportunity will present itself.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Roy

Post by Roy »

needmore wrote:
Roy wrote: No rush. You can do a Rip Van Winkle and wake up 20 years from now and nothing will have changed.
I know you've been waiting for years but don't give up hope just yet...perhaps a new opportunity will present itself.
Well I hoping so. I looked on the ABS Officers and upper echelon web page and I see a lot of names I've never seen post on any bamboo forum. Some I've seen post a few nuggets of information on other bamboo forums. I see a few who used to post more on various bamboo forums, but posts very little now that they have moved up the ABS hierarchy. This guy "Hollenback" seems to be doing a lot of posts, but he's relatively new on the scene and he may not quite understand his role yet. :wink:

I did a Google for "Silence of the Culms" and I got 2 hits! I'm sure if the IBG and the IBL were still up and running there would be a lot more hits.

Hopefully we won't Needmore votes to turn things around.
Roy Rogers
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

This guy "Hollenback" seems to be doing a lot of posts
I checked the memberlist on this forum and the username Hollenback has only 12 posts. Under wikipedia, it says that Bill Hollenback was coach of Penn State around 1910. Doesn't say his age, but he may have experienced alot of bamboo flowerings during his life. So he has plenty to add to this forum if he starts regularly posting.
rfgpitt

Post by rfgpitt »

needmore wrote:I know you've been waiting for years but don't give up hope just yet...perhaps a new opportunity will present itself.
I don't expect "Rome in a day", but I hope you're right......

edit: Because PA might lose one of its less than *10 ABS members if I don't start seeing what my dues go for soon. I just want to be proud enough to wear an ABS t-shirt (if they were available - note to anyone listening: make a few bucks by selling apparel - oh yeah, I don't like bumper stickers, just the window clingy thingys - rant, rant, blah, blah).

*If you look at the membership listing for Pennsylvania in 2006 there were less than 10 ABS members - that's about 1 in every 1.25 million Pennsylvanians
Last edited by rfgpitt on Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick
mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

I e-mailed my vote yesterday, but never received the confirmation e-mail. Should I be worried? :?:
rfgpitt

Post by rfgpitt »

I received mine the following day, but I would not be concerned yet.
Rick
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1

Post by bambooweb »

Roy wrote:I see a few who used to post more on various bamboo forums, but posts very little now that they have moved up the ABS hierarchy. This guy "Hollenback" seems to be doing a lot of posts, but he's relatively new on the scene and he may not quite understand his role yet. :wink:

Hopefully we won't Needmore votes to turn things around.
As per ABS Objective #1 I think some people are more interested in storing the information rather than disseminating it.
ABS Bylaws wrote:ARTICLE II
OBJECTIVES AND PURPOSES
The objectives of this corporation are:
1. To provide a source of information on the identification, propagation, utilization, culture, and
appreciation of bamboos. To disseminate and store this information, the corporation maintains a library of
references and publishes a Journal and Newsletter.
2. To promote the utilization of a group of desirable species by development of stocks of plants for
distribution to botanic gardens and introduction to the general public.
3. To preserve and increase the number of bamboo species in the United States.
4. To plant and maintain bamboo gardens to display the characteristic beauty of mature plants and to
provide plant material for research in the taxonomy, propagation, and culture of as large a number of
species as possible.
5. To support bamboo research in the field and to establish whatever facilities are deemed necessary to carry
out the research projects approved by the directors.
As for board members that post. Kinder is one of the "Retired" board members who seemed to post more on the lists when he was on the board. In contrast Chris S. is posting more now that he is not on the board.

Roy,
I see that the Florida chapter votes on their Rep this year. Are you running. :lol:

Roy

Post by Roy »

bambooweb wrote:....snip....

Roy,
I see that the Florida chapter votes on their Rep this year. Are you running. :lol:
Missed this part on the first reading.

I have no idea what is happening in Miami with FCCABS. Mr. Organizer, Dr. Tom Harlow, left the State a few years ago and most of my information sources have dried up. When Tom lived in Florida, the FCCABS bamboo forum was one on the most active ones. Now I think it averages about a .2 email each month. At least Steve Stamper will email me back if I email him.

I have enough BS* on the Suncoast without trying keep up with what's going on with FCCABS.

*Bamboo Society
Roy Rogers
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1

Post by bambooweb »

Ned Jaquith wrote:If people want to vote by e-mail it would be good for them to put in the subject line ..........."ABS VOTE"............ and keep the chat down. Just state I vote for "my choice," No other text in the e-mail. I have replied to each stating their vote was received and I will for all I receive in the future.

So far I have received 21 votes. Hopefully I have not missed any in my inbox, which as someone having had a web page for over 15 years gets prodigious spam.
Out of 1075 current ABS members only 21 have voted so far :? It looks like the apathy vote is winning.

Bill