bamboo -Wood quality

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

boonatick
Location info: 0

bamboo -Wood quality

Post by boonatick »

I was just wondering if there is a list available that compares the wood qualities of the different bamboos,I changed my fencline on my land and opened up several new ereas for new groves and I want to consider the bamboos usefulness down the road a few years and not just the apearance,,,thanx for any help
Kaylen. zone 8 borderline b.near Boerne Texas
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Kaylen, nice to 'hear' from you. A few good wood species suitable for your climate include Bambusoides, Nuda, Phy. Makinoi, Phy. Meyerii, Rubro - I'm sure there are others.

Makinoi is a great bamboo for zones 7 & up. Beautiful blue blush at sheath fall, sizes up nicely - I've seen 2 inches by 35 feet in zone 6b and it gets bigger in TX, nice form - it looks much like Viridis but better wood I believe. Mine is still hanging in there this winter thus far, this species would be given prominent placement if I were a bit warmer here. If we don't get a serious cold snap yet, I expect mine to be around 3/4 to an inch by 15 feet in its 2nd full year here.

Anybody else growing this one?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
boonatick

Post by boonatick »

Thanxs for the welcome Brad,
Whats the wood like on the Tootsik ,I have the one I got from you ,and I have a nice little grove started of the varigated kind but am wondering how stong the culms are when grown up,,,I know the S. fastuosa's culms are very brittle .are the tootsiks simmaler?

Was hoping to see you at the national meeting ,this year its Hawaii
boonatick

Post by boonatick »

Also would like to know how are the culms of the SEMIARUNDINARIA okuboi,,,I have a bunch of this one bursting the pots but I want to know if it has any value as poles to decide where Ill plant it ,,this one may be better in somene elses feild,,
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Kaylen, I'm not certain about the Tootsik when compared to some of the others I mentioned but folks in Hawai'i use it for lots of purposes and I bring poles back to Indiana with me as they seem very hard & useable.

How has your Tootsik from me done? Mine in the pots has done little and I'm thinking about digging a few more to start over. The problem I have digging this one is how bloody deep the rhizomes are running where I have permission to dig, I suspect because this is a flower farm and the soil is DEEP & RICH. I always stop too shallow and lose the divisons. I may end up heading to the mountains in the Tootsik forest where I suspect they are shallower and digging up a monster section of rhizome with a fat stump attached to it.

My guess on the Okuboi is that the poles will not reach a diameter to be of use for anything substantial. Perhaps a trellis for climbing plants but I've never seen it at even an inch in diameter. But it sure does run and produce new culms doesn't it :shock:
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com