bamboo and trees are pretty

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

Iowaboo
Location info: 32

bamboo and trees are pretty

Post by Iowaboo »

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

RE: bamboo and trees are pretty

Post by foxd »

For environmental impact, performance and price, it is hard to beat hardwood flooring grown in Tennessee.
I detect a certain amount of spin in this article. :lol:

I notice they don't mention things like bamboo attains its full height in under a year and can be harvested every four years. For that matter, I would like to see a breakdown of just how much energy is used to process bamboo flooring as opposed to hardwood flooring.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

The article seemed pretty slanted. Propaganda at its worst.

But then I think. If I have 1 acre, do I plant trees, bamboo, or both on it. In Iowa, I would assume the trees would do much better than bamboo. It would be sad to play with bamboo for 20 years only to find out it dies to the ground every year. Especially, when trees were my first love. So many species of trees to try and grow here.
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Post by Roy »

Solid hardwood flooring also provides more material that can be sanded off in future refinishing steps; the hard surface layer of bamboo flooring is relatively thin and so it cannot be sanded and re-finished like solid wood.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that bamboo flooring could be refinished. Maybe I just read that wrong somewhere.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: RE: bamboo and trees are pretty

Post by foxd »

Roy wrote:
Solid hardwood flooring also provides more material that can be sanded off in future refinishing steps; the hard surface layer of bamboo flooring is relatively thin and so it cannot be sanded and re-finished like solid wood.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that bamboo flooring could be refinished. Maybe I just read that wrong somewhere.
Yes, I too have read that bamboo flooring can be sanded and refinished. I think they are thinking that bamboo has a hard shell and a soft inside. :?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
BruceLofland
Location info: 0

Post by BruceLofland »

I put bamboo flooring in my house last year. It is a solid material, not a veneer. It reminds me of MDF in a way in that it has a lot of glue in it compared to hardwood material. I have not tried it, but I believe it can be sanded and refinished.
Bruce
queenie
Location info: 0

Post by queenie »

foxd wrote:
Roy wrote:
Yes, I too have read that bamboo flooring can be sanded and refinished. I think they are thinking that bamboo has a hard shell and a soft inside. :?
Like any hardwood, bamboo flooring may, overtime, show signs of damage or fading. This could be due to a number of different reasons, most of the time as a consequence of moisture or overexposure to the sun. A great way to keep your bamboo looking its best is to refinish your flooring every few years.
Last edited by queenie on Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

queenie wrote:a great way to keep your bamboo looking its best is to refinish your flooring every few years.
That's convenient. :roll:
Iowaboo

Re: bamboo and trees are pretty

Post by Iowaboo »

welcome to the forum