Site complexity

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

Bamboomoon
Location info: 0

Site complexity

Post by Bamboomoon »

This is my first post here, mainly because the site is so detailed that I have been intimidated by it. I don't consider myself thick about online sites (though someone else may be groaning right about now), but I have not been able to easily navigate these pages.

I do appreciate the work and thought put into it, but even after visiting 3 times, I'm only now beginning to not understand how to walk around in it.

The "message body" line for instance: Are these html codes? I know they are after trying them, but wouldn't it be simler to call them html buttons?

It seems to me that an ongoing thread, covering all topics would be an easier "entry" for new posters, like myself. After becoming familiar through several visits, the option of being able to access posts through subjects, might then become appreciated as users learn about that option.

This post is sent only to aid in streamlining and ease of use. Others may not feel the way I do, but if there are people who feel like I do, they may come to visit only once.

I see this as a familiarity problem: we become so familiar with a "language" that we don't realize how specialized that language might be to someone who has never spoken it, even when the words used are words from their native tongue ...

and now that I'm ready to "submit", what is a "poll question?" What is a "poll option?"
BambooMoon
zone 8b
Snohomish, Wa
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Site complexity

Post by bambooweb »

This Forum is actually based on the open source Forum program phpBB. Stick around and you will pick up on how things work.
If you have specific suggestions I have been modifying parts of the system and I could change some things.

The 'Message body' heading includes everything in a post after the Subject line. If you move your mouse over the tag boxes above the text entry box the description line will change and describe the tag.

If you would prefer to receive an email of the posts since you last visited checkout the 'Digests' at the top of any page. You can select which forums that you want to watch and in the email that you will receive will have links to respond to the post.

When you start a new thread you can ask a poll question that will stay with that thread. For example you could ask what people preferred: clumpers or runners.

Bill
Bamboomoon
Location info: 0

Post by Bamboomoon »

Bill:

I'm all for open source; actually have a few stocks in open source companies that tanked terribly, but approove (very much) of the notion. I appreciate the reply. Will check "Digests". If I have any further suggestions, I'll pass them on ...
BambooMoon
zone 8b
Snohomish, Wa