Help me identify this runner please!

Moderator: needmore

Stathis
Location info: 0

Help me identify this runner please!

Post by Stathis »

Hi everybody,
I planted this runner in April 2016, just one pot. In 12 months it filled a 4m by 0.7 m space. Can anyone identify this?
It seems weird to me that I had new shoots in last fall but they didn't grow higher than the older culms, so I remove all of them before spring. Then the whole space was filled with short culms in spring again and they where so dense that I though it will be nice if I remove some of them. Finally 2-3 week ago I had new shoots again and it seems that they will rich older culms.

Thanks
Stathis

Cyprus, East Mediterranean
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Help me identify this runner please!

Post by needmore »

A hint only, 2nd photo the culm against the blocks suggests Phy aurea based on how they look just below/at the nodes.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

I would suggest that if you want bigger and taller culms, do not remove any of the smaller ones. Leave them until you start getting the size you want, then remove the small ones.
Stathis

Post by Stathis »

Thank for the identification needmore

Thanks Alan_L. That was was very helpful. I was thinking that because was getting too dense it will stop pruducing new shoots. What about new
rhizome? Is that OK to remove at any time?
Stathis

needmore

Post by needmore »

I'm just guessing based on one photo so not sure it is aurea, there is a unique feature at the nodes even on younger aurea where the diameter thickness below the node extends down some and then the culm tapers slightly. Look around for that feature. As aurea gets larger you'll get some node distortion near ground level but I do not see that on yours.
Stathis

Post by Stathis »

diameter thickness below the node extends down some and then the culm tapers slightly.
Something like this?
ImageImage

No, Im not sure I can see the tapering on any culms. But I can see nodes that bulge somehow and the pattern of branch pair that alternating sides.
Here are some more pictures.
Note that I removed the lower branches few weeks ago.
nodes.jpg
branches.jpg
rhizome.jpg
Thanks for the help
Stathis

needmore

Post by needmore »

Yes, like that, my tapering comment ma have mislead you, by tapering I mean the bulge suddenly stops such as in the pictures. You first picture here I think is not your bamboo, it is aurea, the one below that is also aurea and I think that is yours?

Even on younger plants you can often see the bulge, although some other species will have fatter nodes I am unaware of any with the bulge that extends below the node as far as aurea does.

Such as this
Stathis

Post by Stathis »

Exactly,
The two photos at the top are borrowed from the website's photo section. The rest are from my bamboo.

Brad, I appreciate your help. If it is aurea then my next concern will be how to control it, as it is surrounded by concrete walls and slab, but I didn't consider enough root barrier when I planted it.

Have a nice evening!
Stathis