Arundo Dorax ?

Moderator: needmore

Nathanthecarpenter
Location info: 0

Arundo Dorax ?

Post by Nathanthecarpenter »

Hello bamboo world , I'm glad I found this site and I think from looking through other threads that I have finally figured out what I have but a second opinion can't hurt . I live in zone 6b/7a in the high desert/prairie , I planted one small rhizome on a hill of loose dirt back in 2012 and so far my clump is about 14' in circumference and the canes get 14-16' tall , some winters are mild enough for the canes to grow new leaves in the spring but our late frost has always killed them off and so I cut it back for the new shoots , thanks for looking and any information you can give me .
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (57.33 KiB) Viewed 3365 times
Glen

Re: Arundo Dorax ?

Post by Glen »

Arundo donax is correct.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Arundo donax looks much better if you cut the old growth in the spring. During second growing season it sets branches that are not really attractive.
Nathanthecarpenter

Post by Nathanthecarpenter »

Thanks for the confirmation , I'm glad to finally know what I have because all my fellow hay seeds could tell me was that is Damnboo ! The few times it has made it through a winter I did notice the small branches appear before a late freeze would kill it back , I also cut 3/4 of the canes every spring but leave that one 1/4 to help block a neighbors bright spot light from flooding my bedroom with light . I have a hundred more questions about real bamboo but will ask those in another forum , once again thanks .