What is it? (Discussion moved from Bamboo shoots Thread)

Moderator: needmore

Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: What is it? (Discussion moved from Bamboo shoots Thread)

Post by Alan_L »

First looks like my bissetii shoots too. The second shows that Ph. aurea is not cold-hardy enough for us in MO. :)

Here's my bissetii:
wolfedg
Location info: 0

Post by wolfedg »

Alan_L wrote:First looks like my bissetii shoots too. The second shows that Ph. aurea is not cold-hardy enough for us in MO. :)
Yeah I was kind of wondering why they had it at the park (its in a japanese stroll garden) I guess as long as it doesnt downsize and keeps the neat looking culms it has some value.
EDIT: Also I neglected to mention they have one more boo there that I noticed. I identified it as Phy. Aureosulcata Spectablis by the look of the culms and the 'feel' of the sulcus. Both the (supposed) Bissetii and the (supposed) Spectablis faired much better than the Aurea.
Visit my new blog Wolf's Gardens, Games, and other Getaways
https://wolfedg.blogspot.com/
Bobblehead Pete

Post by Bobblehead Pete »

wolfedg wrote: Bought this one from Maya gardens last year. It took a bad hit last winter, but sent up six new shoots about the same as last year this year. Seems to be an agressive runner/shooter that shoots early. Culms fade from bright green to olive yellow/green. Upon posting the pictures on the shoots thread , some of you are uncertain of
it's ID as atrovaginata. Any thoughts on what it is?
Late to respond as I am just getting time to read the forums. I bought a one gallon "Atro" from Maya gardens as well, hoping to fill the area near my marsh. Mine looks to be the same as yours, maybe misidentified. Mine took a hit last winter as well, along with all my in-ground boo's (down to -5 deg. F for one night). It was affected a little less than the rest, sending up shoots around the same time as Aureosulcata. I would think Bissetii (as it is thought to be in actuality) would have held up better. It was in the ground for one year though, and may not have been established enough.
Rob Harp

"Narrow minds are rarely hit by bullets of wisdom."
wolfedg

Post by wolfedg »

@Bobblehead Pete
Good to know someone who got their 'Atro' from the same source at around the same time, and don't even live too terribly far apart. We should keep in touch.
Visit my new blog Wolf's Gardens, Games, and other Getaways
https://wolfedg.blogspot.com/
Bobblehead Pete

Post by Bobblehead Pete »

The only plus side if my Atro turns out to be something different, is that it is still one I didn't have before. Really wanted a prolific edible with some diameter in that area :?. Wolfedg, I agree that we need to keep in touch. Next year should be more telling as to the mystery boo's identity. Mine has spread outward to around 15 feet.
Rob Harp

"Narrow minds are rarely hit by bullets of wisdom."