Aureosulcata?

Moderator: needmore

Bobblehead Pete
Location info: 0

Aureosulcata?

Post by Bobblehead Pete »

New to the forums and have a question as to which type of bamboo this might be. I have a lot of pictures to document it if there is a specific view that is needed.

I got this from a farmhouse in Northern Oklahoma thinking it was probably something more common. I hadn't seen the shoots till this year as last years' shoots were eaten by rabbits. Milorganite fixed that problem this year as it smells to high heaven.

It has shoots that appear to be that of aureosulcata, but there is no color difference in the sulcus or does there seem to be any roughness to the lower portion of the culm. The culm turns golden evenly within a month or so. There seems to be a few crooks in the lower portion of a few culms. Light exposure has created a blush on the culms as well. I have both Yellow Groove and Spectabilis growing in the same field with the same exposure and they are easily identified as such.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to replicate a species I may already have in the field.

Last edited by Bobblehead Pete on Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Harp

"Narrow minds are rarely hit by bullets of wisdom."
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Aureosulcata?

Post by needmore »

Certainly appears to be the Aureocaulis form of aureosulcata.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I have a tissue culture bamboo which was sold as spectabilis, was actually aureosulcata aureocaulis and one of two plants was pretty much like you are describing with the exception of a tiny culm showing the typical aureosulcata traits.

The shoots on mine also point towards aureosulcata yet, like yours, it has smooth culms, is all green and turns a golden-ish color after a while.

here is the link to the post I made about it.

http://www.bambooweb.info/bb/viewtopic. ... =15#p55945

by the way I separated the small culm a while ago and it is 100% aureosulcata aureocaulis and actually currently shooting (funny, it now is in the exact pot the mother plant was in)
Bobblehead Pete

Thanks for the quick response Brad. I had read in a description that aureocalis was golden at sheath fall. In my head that was the most logical variety I could come up with from reading. Looks like I won't have to relocate anything now.
Rob Harp

needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Normally it is a beautiful golden at sheath fall but I have noticed over the years that some culms do that Robert Young thing where they start out greenish and turn yellow. Not sure what triggers such different behavior from the rest of the culms. It also seems to me that the Aureocaulis are smoother on the 'up rub'. Not sure that is what you have but a likely suspect for sure.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Bobblehead Pete

I have a tissue culture bamboo which was sold as spectabilis, was actually aureosulcata aureocaulis and one of two plants was pretty much like you are describing with the exception of a tiny culm showing the typical aureosulcata traits.

The shoots on mine also point towards aureosulcata yet, like yours, it has smooth culms, is all green and turns a golden-ish color after a while.
Nicholas, your boo looks very similar in appearance to mine. As the culms get larger and the plant gets more mature the characteristics may be more evident in my case.
Rob Harp

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Bobblehead Pete wrote:
Nicholas, your boo looks very similar in appearance to mine. As the culms get larger and the plant gets more mature the characteristics may be more evident in my case.
The part that showed characteristics like yours never changed to the proper aureosulcata form and is still smooth culmed, mostly olive green turning yellow-ish similarly to aurea.
(the small one culm division that is now bigger also has rough culms and the odd green stripe so it is proper aureosulcata aureocaulis!)

I have the plant in a 90l plastic bricklayer's trough and personally don't find it exceptional enough to give it precious garden space. Who knows maybe it grows very large? It is pretty hardy like the species as it has never had any leaf damage even as a potted up plant in my zone 7a (though the last few winters were exceptionally mild so take that with a grain of salt)

The only explanation I have is that this is a not so uncommon mutation that aureosulcata aureocaulis can revert to.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I have the true Spectabilis and I've also noticed it's doing some crazy changing. I've seen a culm with monstrous leaves (compared to all the other culms, they were like double size), green stripes on not only sulcus, they were also scattered all around the culm, lightish green culms with dark green sulcus that are only now fading to regular yellow culms after their first winter,... The second thing is, white striping on it's leaves - some years, it's nicely variegated, other - all green. Reddening of the culms as well, 2 years ago, shoots were strikingly red, even those in the background started to get some color, last year, with the same amount of sun or even more, hardly any red coloration which also faded out right away.

I have no idea what triggers all the mentioned above, but that Spectabiblis (Lamatempel 1) performs its tricks each year. This year I'm hoping for zig-zagging, thick culms and strong red coloration. :santa: