Help please.

Moderator: needmore

Xavanaz
Location info: 0

Help please.

Post by Xavanaz »

Hi. I am a new member.
Firs of all I don't speak very good the English us language.
I will post some photo of a bamboo plant and I d like if it's possible to help me to identified .
I only grow tomatoes and I d like to start grow some bamboo.
This plant is from a woman I an island in Greece. I am from Greece too.
I don't won't to plant something in my garden before I learn the name of the plant because I have kinds and I must be sure 100% wat I grow. If it's possible please tell me?

Thanx a lot
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Tarzanus

Re: Help please.

Post by Tarzanus »

photo 1 and 2, there's a Phyllostachys bamboo, most likely Phyllostachys Aurea. You should send more detailed photos of the culms at soil level, are they somewhat compacted? How thick do they get? Do you know how their shoots look like in the spring? Have a photo of the shoots?

Picture 3 might not be bamboo at all. It seems more like a reed.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Agree that #2 is Phyllostachys aurea
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Xavanaz

Post by Xavanaz »

I post all the photos that I have.
It's not possibly to take new photos.
Phyllostachys aurea is usually the bamboo you can find in Greece.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Xavanaz

Post by Xavanaz »

This is all the photo I cane show you.
Thanx all for the help . You are so nice people.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Xavanaz

Post by Xavanaz »

New info .
The size of the biggest bamboo is
6 meters wight
4 cm diameter

Thanx again. :))
Glen

Post by Glen »

The distorted internodes show that it is certainly Phyllostachys aurea, a great bamboo for Texas, and apparently also Greece.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Certainly Phyllostachys aurea. It can become quite aggressive in warm climates like in Greece, especially if it receives enough water during the summer.
Xavanaz

Post by Xavanaz »

Thank you very much.
Thank you.
You are so kind.
I willi informa when the other bamboo I ordered ( phyllostachys EDULIS ) will come .
I will send photos to ensure is the right plant .
Thanks again.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Did you order seeds or bamboo planted in a pot? If you have bought seeds you might not get what you wanted and even if you do, Moso is hard to grow from seed and it takes 10 years for it to become large. If you buy rhizome division or planted bamboo with several culms, you'll have your bamboo much faster.

I have grown it from seeds and I admit it's really pain to raise it. Most of the seedlings were to weak to get going, only one managed to hold on and is now quite aggressive. I'll have to contain it. Another thing is, some of the seedlings you would get would seem to be OK, but would die as soon as you would introduce them to full sun in Greece. Moso loves to be in a bit shaded location, at least for the first couple of years. After that it shades itself enough and it thrives in full sun as well. :)

good luck!
Xavanaz

Post by Xavanaz »

I order plant not seeds .
Because the plant is small I am thinking to plant it in a big conteiner for on two years to have more manageable conditions .
I will keep it in shade place .
If I see new culms in the big conteiner the I transplanted to the ground.
The MOSSO arrives at 10 February .
When I have it I post some photos and I will ask your experience about what to do step by step. :)
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Plant it outside the first year. When you won't have to be afraid of freezing temperatures in the spring (I guess that's early April or March for most of the Greece), plant it in the ground. Growth speed can not be compared and Moso is really hard to keep happy in any container. Best thing is to just put it into it's desired location, keep it watered for a while and then let the nature do it's magic. Good luck! :D
Xavanaz

Post by Xavanaz »

Ok I do that .
Spring is late mars I plant it outside early in April . Thanx a lot :)
Xavanaz

Post by Xavanaz »

Hi all again.
My MOSSO BAMBOO is here and I am really happy.
It is in 9cm pot with four five small culms.
I want your help.
The weather here is day 12-16 C and night 5-8 C and we have a risk to go down to 0 c some day until 15 March . I leave in apartment with 2 balcony. The first balcon is very bright but no sun all day and the second balcony have sun for 4 hours and is very bright too. We have and third option a greenhouse with sun all day. Also I can post it in a bright window inside the house with temperature 22 C all day.

Another though is to transplant it in 4 gallon pot for 2 months to make a nice root ball and then transplant it to the finale position .

Please tell my what to do .

Thanx again alot
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Your current weather is ideal. If it only drops to 0°C, I'd plant it and if risk of hard frost came, cover it until it passes. The other option is to keep it somewhere bright and wait for the weather to warm up. Might be better choice this winter, it ain't over 'till the fat lady sings.

I would not recommend greenhouse, because there are most likely large temperature swings that could harm it.

Balcony and bright room are equally good options, if outside, it will prepare for outdoor conditions, but will only receive 4 hours of sun, if inside, it will be kept warm and will have a lot of sun - it might start shooting in a week or two. When that happens, hopefully the spring will already kick in and you'll be able to take it outside.
If it is not overcrowded inside it's pot, I'd leave it and not up-pot. My Moso bamboos had hard time when I planted them into larger containers.

Good luck