Bamboo Identification Tags, signs, stakes what to use?

Moderator: needmore

zxylene
Location info: 0

Bamboo Identification Tags, signs, stakes what to use?

Post by zxylene »

Anyone have any methods they use to keep there plants ID'd? I am horrible with remembering, spelling or pronouncing regular names of people let alone all my boos and now that I have 42 species spread all over my property I want to keep them ID'd but am looking for advice on a quick cheap easy way for now and maybe a nicer way later. I have a spread sheet with all my plants and order in which I got them with the order they are around the property but it is kind of a pain to print the spread sheet and count the numbers etc. and this is just personal Id ing I don't have a nursery or farm tours etc. just if a fellow bamboo enthusiast is walking around with me I want to have the correct IDs I still wont be able to say the names but they will hopefully be spelled and ID'd correct.
marcat
Location info: 28

Re: Bamboo Identification Tags, signs, stakes what to use?

Post by marcat »

Mostly runners? On the cheep the twoXtwo surveyer stakes would work. You can paint the names on them in large letters.
MarCat
zxylene

Post by zxylene »

Thanks that is a good Idea and would be cheap. I was thinking wood burning but painting the names would be cheaper and less work. I also had the Idea of printing out the names on paper and then laminating then and tacking or stainless staple to cheap stakes.
zxylene

Post by zxylene »

marcat wrote:Mostly runners? On the cheep the twoXtwo surveyer stakes would work. You can paint the names on them in large letters.
MarCat
Yes runners but I am not sure If that would make any difference. Although I can use bamboo poles as stakes and maybe my laminate idea. I get more poles from runners?
marcat

Post by marcat »

runners are more open and you wouldn't have to move the stakes as often. printed and laminate would be short lived, UV will get to the ink and it would fade pretty quick.
MarCat
marcat

Post by marcat »

Oh those surveyor stakes are 1x2 not 2x2. Last bundle I got cost about ten bucks and I think had about twenty in it.
MarCat

like the wood burning idea might look real good
zxylene

Post by zxylene »

Good point about the ink UV would fade them quick. I wonder if I coated them with Armorall or some thing like that? I may print a bunch and attach to the stakes until I can wood burn them later. I was at a garden in PA Stonehedge gardens and they had only one bamboo but used 4x4s cut at an angle with a metal or plastic ID on the top for some of their trees etc. I thought that would be a pretty long lasting solution. But for now I want cheap and quick but hopefully lasting a few years. most of my bamboo I know what they are but I don't say them right and sometimes I draw a blank.