another phyllostachys

Post by cannamaniac »

Any ideas? Is it aurea?
ImageP6210893 by smifter2012, on Flickr
ShmuBamboo
Location info: 0

Re: another phyllostachys

Post by ShmuBamboo »

Looks like Aurea from the compressed nodes on the old culm and the look of the new shoot.
Happy trails...
fredgpops
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

aurea nodes bulge don't compress. Rgds
ShmuBamboo

Post by ShmuBamboo »

Huh? OK, they have compressed internodes then... my bad. Looks like an aurea, quacks like an aurea...
Happy trails...
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

It does look like aurea. Internodes compressed like this can be occasionally found on many phyllos, but they are much more frequent on aurea. These are a bit too 'normal' for aurea with way too round internode, aurea usually don't look like that (except perhaps in more juvenile form). Shoot on the other hand is screaming aurea.

Without doubt - it's Phyllostachys aurea.

Edit: there are more photos from the same user on flickr, that are even more specific. Here's just one...
fredgpops
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

If you reference the photos submitted for Ph. aurea in the photo gallery, the original photo does not show either the lower node properties nor sheath coloration of new aurea shoots posted. If the Tarzanus photo is a continuation of the original photo, it's a slam dunk (or duck) golden. Rgds
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Fredgpops, shoot is exactly like one of my semi-mature aurea. Some shoots appear a bit more brown, but many of the shoots (especially shoots that came out a couple of weeks before actual spring shooting or during late summer) appear greenish like this with straw colored edge that gives the zig-zag pattern, visible on the first photo.

I do agree with you that culm doesn't look very aurea. I have noticed though, that around 1cm diameter, lower nodes don't bulge as much as later on when they get thicker. When shoots are smaller, nodes are much thicker than the internode and look completely different, in this case, culm on the photo would resemble, let's say Moso.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I would ask a moderator to transfer a post that fredgpops mistakenly posted in this topic. Thanks.

Thank you for uploading the photos, all the photos can be priceless when you try to ID unknown bamboo.

I tried to find at least one photo of my aurea with it's greenish shoot but I only found a couple of young shoots that are still brown. I think the shoot on the photo is a whip shoot. It's a potted plant, possibly a division. I checked the flickr gallery a it more and there are photos of the same plant with another shoot emerging, that too at around 45° angle and with pot edge clearly visible. Whips might be the green ones. They should also almost stop growing when bamboo matures enough.

I'll take a photo if I don't find anything in my existing stash of photos.
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

On behalf of fredgpops who posted this I am copying and pasting it here; until someone tells me how to move a posting from one topic to another.....

Re original post - Checked my photos of new shoots of aurea (golden) and aurea (koi).
Koi has same properties as golden except mature culms have green stripes on yellow background. Both have the same shoot (culm sheath) colors. Can't find anything matching the new shoot (culm sheath) colors in the original photo or anything matching Tarzanus speculation re impact of early spring. My photos are over a long period of time and cover early to late spring. Also checked recent new culms of koi (early summer). Original post camera may have distorted the colors. I have seen color distortions caused by chemicals natural to the soil and chemicals added to the soil on some species but not aurea. Direction of sun and length of direct sun can impact color as well. Tarzanus is correct re node distortions - many culms don't exhibit the distortion. Checked my golden and looks like about 40% don't have the distortion. Saw a large grove of golden with 75% no distortion. It was in a area without much sunlight. Lastly, the site has a great photo gallery. Check out both golden and koi and make your own call. Nursery growers have told me that new culms are the best way to ID a species. I have posted many new culm photos of plants that I grow to the photo gallery section of the site to help others Id plants. RGds fredgpops
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Just found one shoot under my Phyllostachys aurea.
Attachments
IMG_8755.jpg